Nijmegen 2024 entry

Still working to 11+2 (IIRC) per team?

In answer to your second question - they know that they’re being assessed and poor show and attitude will reduce their likelyhood of being chosen.

I’m under the impression its 9+2, but i could be mistaken

1 Like

More like that’s the right figures; although let’s see what this “pause” brings.

I wouldn’t put it past HQAC to restrict to teams of 4+2.

1 Like

For me the difficulty is how many exerienced cadets that have done it before do you put in a team of 9(ish) - or do you risk taking a fresh set of 9 each year.

There has to be the right balance, and my instinct would be to have slightly more experienced cadets than new walkers.

But then where does that leave us next year once the current experienced cadets have moved on?

These sort events 100% require cadets that have played the game before. The staff can only do so much. You need cadets that can look out for other cadets who are new to it.

1 Like

I’m generally partnered with the same fellow RMTL during our events. From day one of Blue RM, we start with that mantra;

“We’re old, so we need you to look out for us as much as we look out for you”

Typically by Blue march 2, the team are able to run themselves well with just occasional input from us. It’s really satisfying to watch that development.

3 Likes

100% i frequently assign “cadet team leaders” tell them they’re in charge and im just there to make sure they finish in the same state they started (maybe a few blisters)

That all sounds like good stuff.

I’m not exactly a big fan of RM, if I’m being honest. But that sells it better than what I’ve seen before!

Join us…

3 Likes

It’s a gentle walk through the local area whilst singing songs in harmony. Just like a sober pub crawl.

Except you get medals at the end instead of a kebab.

You’re not selling it any more :rofl:

How about the fact that (provided the little poppets AND the staff have been training) that the Vierdaagse itself is best described as a cross between the London Marathon and Notting Hill Carnival…

2 Likes

As for gossip update…

100 CADET spaces available this year for BMC

Two different sources have explained this away as 10 teams of 10 cadets plus 2 accompanying staff… the other source has said 9 teams of 10 cadets and 2 staff… either way, doesn’t quite add up to 100…

Several friends across different Wings and Regions have reported varying levels of information being passed down.

The idea of multiple teams per Region is a slim possibility…

As usual, the greatest worry from a staff / parent point of view is encouraging the cadets to carry on training - without any assurance of a space…

Plenty of head sheds will say “that’s life” or “no different to trying to get a space in a Gucci camp” - but sorry - that’s not cricket….at least have the decency to tell the staff sooner rather than later if they’re going to get a slot. That way cadets over 18 and CFAVs have the opportunity to register privately… (on the basis that they’re responsible for themselves… blah blah)

But - the added twist is that this year… if you’re old / young enough to go 30 or 40k, you CANNOT apply to swap your start time… you can apply for two tickets, so you’ll have at least one buddy starting with you…

And worst case, those on the early start, can always wait for the second start.

We’re hoping the organisers are going to change this policy back!

The other certainly otherwise would be for CFAVs and former staff etc to have their own private teams…

But remember Special K’s edict that there can be no “unofficial RAFAC teams…”

It was suggested to me by one CFAV last year, that they might put such a team together this year… and in an effort to maintain subterfuge would refer to themselves as a “pirate team”…

Now waiting to see such a team in fancy dress!

But there’s absolutely nothing to stop a group of cadets self-organising without any CFAV support. A few of mine are genuinely considering this option.

1 Like

Weekly update in December stated that there would be 100 places for cadets. Should have said 100 places for RAFAC.
The DIN has yet to be released by OCBMC but RAFAC know how much they are going to fund. No self funding places to tick up any slack from BMC so they can exercise OpCon over RAFAC cadet teams
Trawl went out last week to RRMOs for forwarding to WRMO to bid for teams or nil return. Deadline 9 Feb.

Allocation this year is 9 team of 11

Ferry booked :white_check_mark:

Campervan for Mrs Dad2James booked :white_check_mark:

Campsite pitch for camper booked :white_check_mark:

Waiting for registration to open…

2 Likes

First registration period for this year’s Nijmegen opens tomorrow (Monday 12th February) at 10:00 CET (0900 for us), for people that have completed a Nijmegen march previously or, they are aged between 12 and 18, or entering as part of a team.

A second registration period will commence for first timers, aged 19+, from Monday 4th March at 10:00 CET (0900 UK) - provided there are still spaces available.

1 Like

not strictly relevant but,

There’s currently no WRMO in my wing, last year there was good uptake for road marching and we sent teams out to Cosford for RAFWARMA with decent outcomes (for cadets atleast). There have been no opportunities for road marching since, wheres the best place I (as a cadet) can direct questions/encouragement about future road marching events?

I’d say ask you OC to liaise with the Region Road Marching Officer…

1 Like