Nijmegen 2024 entry

The question of allocation could always be posted as a Comment, or raised via WRMO + RRMOs

Guilt free, relaxing post walk beer at The Wedren at the end of each walking day… and no one asking how much further Sir?

1 Like

Dont tempt me any more

From a fellow Road Marcher

Unfortunately it looks like the same date as the L&SER March.

Do the region really prioritise their own event over a national-level opportunity?

2 Likes

I had a quick nosey at the paperwork and was surprised to see they can disqualify teams made up of cadet forces if they try to enter as a civvies team.

Sounds like there’s a story behind that.

Unfortuantely :zipper_mouth_face: despite objections to my WRMO

Not just the fact regarding the level of the activity, but the atmosphere for the participants

In case you needed a bit more encouragement…

Now to try and translate it…

There are a couple of civvy teams in amongst the footage

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t think this morning’s Duolingo lesson will be much help…

1 Like

Update this morning on the 4daagse.nl website regarding registration…

Two registration periods

Just like in 2023, the registration process will take place during two periods. Period 1 starts at 10.00 hrs CET on Monday 12 February and is open to participants who have previously participated successfully in the event and to young people born in the years 2006-2012. This first period will end at 17.00 hrs CET on Friday 1 March.

Period 2 is intended for all those who are interested in registering for the 4Days Marches in 2024. Registration for this starts at 10.00 hrs on Monday 4 March and will continue until the maximum number of entries of 47,000 has been reached, with the final deadline set on 14 June 2024. This means that there will be no draw this year either.

The full version of the Registration Regulations is available on the 4Days Marches this website. Separate registration regulations apply to military participants.

Starting tickets will be transferable

This year, Stichting DE 4DAAGSE is introducing the option of transferring starting tickets for the first time. This option will become available once the maximum of 47,000 participants has been reached. Should a participant inadvertently be unable to participate, they will have the opportunity to transfer their ticket until 17.00 hrs on 31 May 2024, but only through the 4Days Marches platform (administration fees not included). Because of this, the option to cancel up to two weeks after purchase will be withdrawn.

Chairman Henny Sackers explains things: “Transferring starting tickets was a long-cherished wish of both our organisation and our army of walkers. Until now it wasn’t possible to facilitate transfers, but a new system has allowed us to meet even more of the walkers’ needs. This gives us a great opportunity to allow as many interested people as possible to participate in the 4Days Marches.”

More innovations

As of 2024, Stichting DE 4DAAGSE will be teaming up with Atleta, an experienced partner in the field of ticket sales for sports events. This will result in a new registration module that will look familiar to participants in events like the Amsterdam Marathon, the Zevenheuvelenloop run or the Dam tot Dam walk. The 4Days Marches is everything that makes a sports event so beautiful. Bert Cocu, CEO of Atleta BV: “Suffering, happiness, participants pushing themselves to the limit, the atmosphere and parties along the route. The immense satisfaction when reaching the finish. We’re delighted and proud that we can contribute to this special event.”

Another change to the registration process is that people will be given the opportunity to purchase two tickets at once during period 1, provided that the second person is also entitled to register during this period.

After completing the registration and payment, the participant will immediately receive a ticket. This ticket will not yet state a specific starting group. Starting groups will be assigned on 3 June 2024 once there is enough clarity on the number of participants for each distance. Hans Teunissen, Head of Mobility: “For safety reasons and to improve walking comfort, we’ll be spreading the walkers out over the route as much as possible. Among other things, we can do this by managing the number of people starting together.” The starting times will be about the same as those of previous years. Changing your assigned starting group will not be possible this year, but the option to start at a second starting time will of course always be available.

Registration fee

The registration fee for participation in the 106th 4Days Marches is €115. Members of the Dutch walking association KWBN who have a ‘Wandelvoordeelpas’ for 2024 will get €5 off.

Sackers: “We’ve increased the registration fee for 2024 by €6, which is a limited increase of about 5% compared to 2023. Despite the considerable increase in costs for the organisation and stricter regulations, we continue to do everything we can to keep the price of our event as low as possible, allowing us to offer our participants a valuable walking event, both in 2024 and the years to come.”

Without reading the paperwork - this could be a retrospective look at “unofficial” civvie teams at Nijmegen. HQAC ensuring that there’s no chance of RAFAC staff acting in an inappropriate manner, without the oversight, insurance and protection etc of participating under the RAFAC umbrella.

If it’s “teams” of CFAVs, then I can’t see the problem.

But if it’s it’s a team of just young people, without “adult supervision”, I can understand why knickers might be getting twisted… Wanting to maintain a proper Command and Control structure…?

My advice, at this point, would be to do it outside of cadets as a civilian individual. The registration fee even if going with the RAFAC is €115. You would obviously have to pay for your own transport there and a place to stay, but I would say it’s worth it overall.

I am doing it this year as an individual after being fed up of gambling for spaces for years, moreover at the present time RAFAC has been going through lots of changes to the syllabus, while one wing only makes you do blue RM beforehand, some would expect at least a ladder of blue, bronze, silver before even expecting to be selected.

Registration opens on the 12th of February. If you want to do it this year, apply as an individual, you would already need to take action though such as looking for places to stay etc. If you want to do it with the RAFAC, you could try for 2025 but already get into any RM that comes up to look more appealing as a candidate.

Whatever option you pick, you will have to do a lot of training beforehand. Depending on age, you will have to do either 30, 40 or 50km daily for 4 days. If you are unprepared you are likely to drop out or even injure yourself, so it’s essential you build up your condition.

Good luck, it’s nice to see someone also interested in doing this event, moreover as I am going this year too. Again, I recommend doing it outside of RAFAC for a much higher chance of participating.

1 Like

My wing is one such wing and, for us, it’s completely the right move.

Road Marching is incredibly popular here and we’re always many times oversubscribed versus the places we have available to us for Nijmegen. With the “pause that’s not a pause” going ahead, that will be much more pronounced this year.

The fairest way to allocate places is based on those that have shown the greatest commitment. The easiest way to measure that is by selecting those cadets that have completed the greatest proportion of the RM syllabus.

Our qualifying march is WARMA Long, so you have to do silver anyhow, regardless of anything else.

But overall, you’re right to say that the best way for a cadet today to complete Nijmegen is as a civilian entrant. The odds are much more in their favour in terms of gaining a space.

1 Like

Is that HQAC’s idea :man_shrugging:t2:

Make it harder to get a military place, get everyone to go civvie, no cost to the public purse :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Historically, there has never been a cost to the public purse. The only funding was from the GP fund and that was for most but by no means all of the Messing and accommodation. Staff and cadets paid entry fee, transport including in Nijmegen, continental transport and sometimes domestic transport. depending on the wing some paid for domestic transport to a loading hub and others organised door to door transport. Cadets paid for the first £50 messing plus daily ration allowance, staff paid a flat fee of £50. Also insurance had to be covered.
Because of what happened in 2022 and To have greater control over the event it was decided that much more would be paid for out of the public purse so people could not moan about paying for attending and being stopped for taking part due to policy.

So LaSER confirmed 60 places for 2024?

Nope, selection over the next couple of months will whittle that down to however many spaces we get.

Is this a known number yet?

But that does make a lot more sense. 60 seemed like a lot!

Also, do the cadets know how many spaces there are, and that they are not guaranteed?

In a word no… but as a region we’re hoping for 2 teams

1 Like