Nightly Duties

[quote=“Operation Dynamo” post=667][quote=“djrice” post=26]
Community Rules.

About your posts:

12.01 Contributions must be civil and tasteful
12.02 No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble. This is called Trolling, and will not be tolerated
[/quote][/quote]

Nice to know where the line is.

Anyway, I don’t see it as forcing them to do it. Every cadet has to do duty once in the rota, so in the grand scheme of things they don’t do it very often. If they don’t like it they can leave.

It has been very useful for them I think, before I arrived on unit they had had no commissioned officers for almost a year, it became very apparent early on that hardly any of the younger cadets knew what to do if an officer is in the office. Like someone said above, it’s good to learn what to do when entering the office before you have a hats on interview.

I’ll look into it …

cheers

And the only way you can do that is make them make you a brew. Amazing leadership.

sirvicalsmeer, move on.

I had this from sirvicalsmeer:

[quote]Original message from sirvicalsmeer to Operation Archway (30 November 2012, 15:28):

Obv you bully people into brews then.
[/quote]
And I replied with:

[quote]Original message from Operation Archway to sirvicalsmeer (30 November 2012, 19:07):

The reason I moderated your post was due to the language used. Had you have simply referred to tea being interfered with, then that would have been fine (if a little off-topic).
Your post could have been interpreted even more inappropriate if you consider that mug is slang for face.

A good rule of thumb is if they wouldn’t say on the telly pre-watershed, then don’t put it here.

While it isn’t really relevant, I have never had a cadet make tea for me.

-Operation Archway[/quote]

To be honest, if he doesn’t move on, and we have nothing to punish with other than a ban, well… I guess a ban it’ll be!

Our duty NCO is responsible for ensuring we stick to the nightly timings, organising cleaning duties at the end of the night and taking parade. Nothing too stressful but it keeps the place running effectively. They also take a written register for use if we have to evacuate.

Got this:

[quote]Original message from sirvicalsmeer to Operation Archway (1 December 2012, 10:43):

Mug as face! Jeez it was crystal clear I was talking about rimming a cup of tea. You’ve got to be the only person to draw a link to somebody slapping a cock in somebodies face instead of a mug of tea.[/quote]

I am tempted to reply with this:

[quote]No matter how your post is interpreted, it was inappropriate for a site aimed at cadets (children).

If you wish to understand how you message may be interpreted I suggest you try typing “define: rimming” into google, be aware it might be NSFW.

If you have any queries I will be happy to help. If not, can we move on?

-Operation Archway[/quote]

Or should I just leave it?

I just hope I don’t get an email from IT asking why I have been googleing “rimming”. :unsure:

Leave it.

He’s posted something similar to me telling me it was “overbearing moderation” and he “doesn’t see the issue with telling people to check their cups when they abuse their power”.

I’ve told him we’re here to uphold the AUP which he’s broken on a few points, not least by repeating already moderated comments.

If he pushes is any more I don’t see what else we can do but ban him for a few days!

BARDA is basically an online register

You might want to check that again. It’s called Bader, and the bit you refer to is a part of Bader called SMS (Squadron Management System).

Good god people!
Have we all forgotten…this…!?

:open_mouth:

Where’s the lynch mob? :wink:

[quote=“wdimagineer2b” post=735]Good god people!
Have we all forgotten…this…!?

:open_mouth:

Where’s the lynch mob? ;)[/quote]
Personally (and sod what the book says) I don’t see the problem with wearing some form of identifier.
If it’s worn on the sqn so what? I’ve had an epuaulette slide for years, worn by the cadets ajudged to be “cadet of the month” and there always seems to be competition to wear it. We had it when I was a cadet, when there was a similar competitiveness and I resurrected it, several years ago.
Ooops it seems I’m infringing 2 things competition ie winners and losers and an unofficial item on a uniform.
But then I’ve never been an advocate of blind following of rules and getting all indignant if someone else doesn’t. If it doesn’t endanger life, what’s the problem? I just think good on 'em, if not tinged with a little bit of “why didn’t I think of that”.

I will await the thunderbolt to strike me down … still waiting … still nothing.

If we aren’t going to bother following the laid down rules why bother with any at all then?

Furthermore who arbitrates which rules we should follow and which we don’t. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be followed. Maybe people like you should volunteer for a less disciplined youth organisation? Brownies perhaps?

Perhaps, we’re all sick of these arguments? If you want to read a really empassioned debate about such things simply click on the Archive and read the same old arguments over and over, it will achieve just as much as trying to start a fight here.

How about new forum, new attitude? We all know it’s not in the regs to wear a sash, but abusing a cadet who has no control over the wearing of a sash on his unit isn’t going to change it.

I personally don’t think a sash is necessary, as it would be a bit unnecessary on a medium sized unit like mine. But may be useful on a larger unit.

Agreed, we have had these arguments to death and the Squadron Commanders who do it aren’t going to change and picking on the cadets is hardly being helpful.

Besides I have flight identifiers so it would be a bit hypocritical to get on my high horse :wink:

Yep agree, I’m not going to change. I take the view what’s the very worst thing that’s going to happen. As I say as long as you don’t put some at risk of injury etc, does it matter.

Just ensure that no photographs of these unapproved items are ever used for publicity purposes as that will get the attention of the people who control such things and they will pour scorn and trouble down upon you.

You know what? Just stick to the book and you won’t have to worry about that.

Personally I don’t think introducing the option for a duty identifier would be a problem, but I reckon an armlet (as authorised for the parent service) would be far better than pretentiously adorning NCOs with a sash, simply because it’s their night to update Bader.

And make the tea! :wink: