Nightly Duties

I don’t drink hot drinks in general so it doesn’t concern me personally, however I don’t have a problem with a cadet making the brews for 2 reasons. As has been mentioned before step 1 in most working lives is newbie get the kettle on and secondly it gets all of the gadgets used to and confident in knocking on an office door, stepping through, saluting, speaking to an officer, saluting and the. Buggering off again!

I gave a lesson to my lot on making hot drinks, because on the whole they are poor at it. The reasons I gave for asking the cadets to do it were broadly these. Nothing impresses more in the eyes of the boss like the ability to make decent (Hot) tea. (I don’t know what my cadets are doing with mine between the kettle and the office but it seems to drain all heat from the cup.

You “brew bullies” can justify your actions as life skills, getting used to gadgets (I’ve heard it all now), not enough room to make our own brews…whatever.

The simple fact is there are 2 types of brews that you can be made; those that are made by those that like and respect you and want to make you one, and those that are bullied, coerced or ordered to make one for you whether they want to or not. World of difference in the taste of those brews… Most probably why most of you get rank brews.

I’d be more impressed if they came to me with a Long Island Iced Tea! B)

I think Sirviscalsmeer has an idea or two what they might be doing… :blink:

I PM’d him with:

[quote]I have removed your post in “Nightly Duties”.
Please remember that 12.01 Contributions must be civil and tasteful.
Operation Archway
[/quote]I was tempeted to mention the scald risk, should a cadet try it. :lol:

Nice one. When you do snip, it’s useful to change the topic title of the thread you create to “X - snipped” so that when we see it in the “recent posts” we know what’s going on :slight_smile:

I do hope all you brew bullies enjoy the special brews that get made for you. Make sure you check the rims of your mugs.

[quote=“I”]sirvicalsmeer,

You’ve had one identical post removed already. It was removed for a reason, and the moderator in question PMed you explaining why.

Please do not post this again.[/quote]

I think we should be giving some ban points!

I’m sure we’ve all skiffed/added extra “milk”/rimmed the cup of a particularly nasty/unpleasant individual whether that be a boss/OC/Wg Cdr/Co-Worker. Most commonly to a mate as a “prank”

And if you’ve not you’re either a wimp or a liar…

Well, turns out I can’t give ban points, only actually ban someone for a period of time!

Anyway round this Dave?

Never.

And back on topic please people.

[quote=“Operation Dynamo” post=659]Never.

And back on topic please people.[/quote]

Its not off topic… Its very apt… If you’re “forcing” your cadets to make brews for the staff team just beware of any froth or floaters…

[quote=“Leeroy” post=663][quote=“Operation Dynamo” post=659]Never.

And back on topic please people.[/quote]

Its not off topic… Its very apt… If you’re “forcing” your cadets to make brews for the staff team just beware of any froth or floaters…[/quote]

We hardly force them. It’s very simple really. All we do is line them up in the hall, select one seemingly at random, and put a gun to their head… :evil:

So, is a “duty” another way of saying that you’re forcing your cadets to do something? I’d suggest not. However if you think it is, then we really should stop with this cadet thing, cos we are always asking or telling (forcing) cadets to do things they may or may not want to do…

Okay… Scenario Time

Officer: “Cadet can you empty the bins please?”

Cadet: (Ugh I don’t really want to) “Yes Sir”

Next Parade Night

Officer: “Cadet can you make me and the WSO a cuppa please?”

Cadet: (ooh he made me empty the minging bins last parade) “Yes Sir” (I’ll Add a little surprise whilst making the tea - that’ll teach him)

Trust me it happens! Be very careful what cadet(s) you ask to brew up!!!

[quote=“sirvicalsmeer” post=640]You “brew bullies” can justify your actions as life skills, getting used to gadgets (I’ve heard it all now), not enough room to make our own brews…whatever.

The simple fact is there are 2 types of brews that you can be made; those that are made by those that like and respect you and want to make you one, and those that are bullied, coerced or ordered to make one for you whether they want to or not. World of difference in the taste of those brews… Most probably why most of you get rank brews.[/quote]
I’ve never had to ask someone to make one. TBH the type of brew you get is no different to one you get when visiting friends and relatives and you’re less likely to moan.
I insist that staff make their own if they are not instructing, however during break it’s a different story.
If you want to be in a ‘kitchen’ (that makes a broom cupboard looks big) with a hot kettle/drink, while others are ducking around serving people, be my guest. If you were unlucky enough to get hot liquid over you, that would be as a result of doing somethng in contravention of our H&S building brief, which states that only those running the canteen are in the kitchen during break.
Although I stand by my comment that as many cadets haven’t been near a kettle prior to joining, we are doing them a favour for when they start work and when they are out camping etc.

@Leeroy. Normally just the mug before the brew goes in. It prevents scoulding.

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=671][quote=“sirvicalsmeer” post=640]You “brew bullies” can justify your actions as life skills, getting used to gadgets (I’ve heard it all now), not enough room to make our own brews…whatever.

The simple fact is there are 2 types of brews that you can be made; those that are made by those that like and respect you and want to make you one, and those that are bullied, coerced or ordered to make one for you whether they want to or not. World of difference in the taste of those brews… Most probably why most of you get rank brews.[/quote]
I’ve never had to ask someone to make one. TBH the type of brew you get is no different to one you get when visiting friends and relatives and you’re less likely to moan.
I insist that staff make their own if they are not instructing, however during break it’s a different story.
If you want to be in a ‘kitchen’ (that makes a broom cupboard looks big) with a hot kettle/drink, while others are ducking around serving people, be my guest. If you were unlucky enough to get hot liquid over you, that would be as a result of doing somethng in contravention of our H&S building brief, which states that only those running the canteen are in the kitchen during break.
Although I stand by my comment that as many cadets haven’t been near a kettle prior to joining, we are doing them a favour for when they start work and when they are out camping etc.[/quote]

Keep kidding yourself. Enjoy your extras.

I’m sure they will.

Moving on… please…