Nightly Duties

In my opinion there’s a marvellous way of telling who is duty Bader/Bada/Badar/Badger/Brewboy.

There’s a list, on this list is names. Cadets remember names of duty NCO’s. When it’s their duty day, day + name + said cadet = Duty NCO.

Why do we need sashes and belts and buckles and whistles and silly hats? By coming up with these circumventions of the rules and regulations as laid out, you are wasting precious Oxygen.

No wonder the polar icecaps are melting at such a rapid rate.

Why do these adornments appear? Because somehow a squadron has an item of obscure uniform hanging around in stores, and someone comes up with an excellent way of using it. I really am sure that if someone had a pink tutu in their stores, a use would be found for it!

One was if I remember…

[quote=“5432golf” post=833]In my opinion there’s a marvellous way of telling who is duty Bader/Bada/Badar/Badger/Brewboy.

There’s a list, on this list is names. Cadets remember names of duty NCO’s. When it’s their duty day, day + name + said cadet = Duty NCO.

Why do we need sashes and belts and buckles and whistles and silly hats?[/quote]

I agree. I don’t really see the need for an identifier for the average squadron. Though if, let’s suppose, a duty armlet was authorised, that wouldn’t bother me, because the RAF have already set precedent there. Shashes and whistles (both of which I’ve seen used) and god knows what else though is just silly in my opinion.
Especially sashes which already have a totally different purpose.

Oh really? I have no recollection of that whatsoever. :wink:

wilf_san

[quote=“James Blonde” post=834]I really am sure that if someone had a pink tutu in their stores, a use would be found for it![/quote]We have a pink tutu in the store.

If there has to be a visual identifier, in giant squadrons with large pools of NCOs, then it should be an armlet, or (logically) a second brassard. I’d really question the practicality of a tutu…

wilf_san

I have seen a White Belt used on a previous Squadron which worked quite well, I think that was used mainley because they were floating about the Squadron B)

The parent service haven’t used a duty armlet in donkeys!!

Do you know the reasoning behind that? When was it phased out?

Do you know the reasoning behind that? When was it phased out?[/quote]

It isn’t phased out, it’s still shown in AP1358. The reason that it’s tended to become under-used in the parent service, is because armlets tend to be associated with wear in No1 dress, as opposed to any form of working dress. At one time (I’m feeling rather old these days!), Orderly Officers and Orderly NCOs were required to report for duty in No1s (or exceptionally what was the original/actual No2, pre-1992). Presumably that doesn’t happen at all now, perhaps with the exception of RAFC, Halton, and the Depot?

Anyway, that’s why I said a second brassard would make sense as an alternative. Stencilled with the required letters (wow, stencil, that’s a blast from the past…best cardboard for them is from a washing-powder carton). And a serviceable returned brassard, minus all badges. Overall cost to the Crown, pennies, and therefore safely-capable of being put into 1358C

wilf_san

ps unless duty officers etc at Air Cadet camps actually are still expected to wear No1 dress? Officially, I mean…
pps and armlets effectively just being worn on No1 dress…I suppose that even includes RAFP/APM bands, and mourning bands

I think should I become a Squadron Commander I will make my duty officer and duty NCO’s wear a Fez. Just like that…

“Right tonight’s plan is…”

…“Tonight’s plan is to sign-out an RAF-issue fez on a 668…not like that, like that!”

Alternatively (if you must)- what’s wrong with a brassard?

wilf_san

But seriously… Whats wrong with a name on a board and a clipboard which contains their nightly checklist when they’re duty NCO?

Why do people want to wear extra items other than those issued and scaled for wear???

Because it’s naughty?

And some pople just like being naughty, and need to be punished… :evil:

Steady…

[rattles keys]

[quote=“Operation Nimrod” post=937]Steady…

[rattles keys][/quote]

What? :?

It had the potential to take a murky dive into an inappropriate topic. The thread lock keys are kept close to my mouse :wink:

I was meerely commenting that it is inappropriate for such behaviour to be allowed on squadrons, and those allowing it should be punished.

Thats it.

What did YOU think I meant? Mind in the gutter some people!