New Training Material

I read “training material” as the powerpoints…

I doubt this is answer books as they are simply that - answer books, holding no “teaching” although accept them as “teaching material” if only because they are books to use as part of the teaching process

do we still have ACPs for the first class syllabus anymore? (that are valid i mean - for teaching)

Haven’t looked in a while but the old ACPs were on ultilearn. But the books were “withdrawn” for one reason and one reason only … cost. Ironically it seems schools still buy textbooks and parents still buy books for revision if the shelves of WH Smith and the www are anything to go by. So why we are bookless is a mystery?

HQAC got far too excited in the mid-00s about everything being electronic and online just because it was cheaper than having to print things. Well it was cheaper for HQAC at any rate as all the costs were passed to squadrons.

As for new training materials, unless there is a substantial change in the syllabus which there hasn’t, why do we need new materials. All they did was split things into sections. When I spoke to a mate of mine who teaches science last year about the new GCSE exams as I said to him it must have bee a pain changing all of his prepared lessons. He said that the content was largely unchanged just some minor changes between that and the previous GCSE syllabus and they tweaked the content of their powerpoints. For science he said they took out assessed practicals and now have compulsory practicals which can come up as exam questions. So unless we have as I say a major change to syllabus content which requires HQAC as the licensed authority to produce suitable and adequate resources, we can as we have been doing for as long as I can remember make our own personal resources to cover the content. Even then I’m not one for using someone else’s ‘lessons’ as they are as they won’t fit my style of instructing as I found when I was given someone’s talk to cover as they hadn’t turned up. I got through it but with 5 minutes notice it was interesting.

My school isn’t buying new textbooks. They’re using old ones until they wear out and phasing in electronic materials.

If you do on staff courses the powerpoints my CI for how to teach air nav, pilot nav and principles of flight have been uploaded under staff courses.

They are very detailed and ideally delivered face to face but it’s better than nothing

Yes! Have this all the time. But most people forget that the people who do things for HQAC syllabus are also volunteers. Probably have full time jobs as well.
I have looked at some PowerPoint and thought I have no idea what that means!
It would be helpful to have some way of explaining to me in simple form. I don’t have time to go to RAFC Cranwell and do the courses. (As a CI) it’s also a long way to go for some people!

1 Like