New Smoking and Drinking Policy

Whereas our school has a no alcohol rule for staff and students on activities, including cadets. For residential that is all the time, even if “off duty”. The only exception is leavers dinners (both club and whole sixth form) when staff can have two glasses of alcohol but 6th form none, even if over 18.
To be honest whilst a drink in the evening would be nice sometimes it’s not the end of the world not having one

This is an interesting one regarding tobacco, someone addicted to nicotine for three years, what mitigation is in place through this policy for the management of symptomatic withdrawal and the supply of replacement therapy?

3 Likes

They can buy a patch/spray with the money they would have spent on fags

1 Like

But does the policy say then can use it, it’s prescribed and not available over the counter? Plus can they get an appointment?

Do we have a policy that says we are allowed to inspect places of the body that would have nicotine patches applied?

4 Likes

What do the regs say about snuff?

1 Like

If it’s good enough for MPs…?

:nauseated_face::nauseated_face:
Words

So I’m not a smoker myself but I do know a lot over over 16s who do smoke as it is legal and police do not have to confiscate cigarettes unless you’re under 16.

Because adult staff on our squadron smoke in an area away from all cadets and say if a smoker who was over 16 wanted to smoke on squadron would they be allowed to smoke in that area? Surely it would be better to smoke in that area than in a place where they are more likely to get in trouble.

See this thread:

But basically, the new rules are cadets, no matter what age, can not smoke on any RAFAC activity.

And yes, this is my attitude. Smoke in a designated area, rather than sneaking off. But use the other thread to carry that conversation on! (albeit not on a parade night. They can go 3 hours without needing a cigarette.)

1 Like

ACF cadets haven’t been allowed to smoke on cadet activities for some time now. It hasn’t caused any noticeable problems in my county. CFAVs were then included relatively recently, though the use of e-cigarettes is still allowed for CFAVs. Smoking and the use of all tobacco products is banned on the entire defence estate.

1 Like

Still bin yours off at 18 though don’t you?

No, we have staff cadets.

Ohhh yeah:

“From 2020 cadets who are over the age of 18, have completed APC 3-Star and hold the rank of Sergeant or above can become a “Staff Cadet”. These cadets wear a rank slide with the words ‘STAFF CADET’ embroidered above their rank insignia. A staff cadet can remain a cadet until their 20th birthday.”

I think I was aware of a trial/survey, but guess I missed the memo on a roll out. I wonder what happened in 2020 that could have distracted me…

Surely if cadets can wait 3 hours to not smoke than staff should be able to as well. Some staff even smoke around cadets and I have a lot of friends who are asthmatics who breathe that in.

1 Like

I’d agree with you. Sadly most smokers don’t consider the impact of their smoke on others. Not all, but in my experience most.

2 Likes

I would agree. There’s no real reason anyone needs to smoke on a parade night. It’s only a couple of hours!

This needs to be reported to your wing staff. It’s not only against policy but is just outright wrong.

2 Likes

If they didn’t consider the impact on others and because they have to look after the cadets. If a cadet with asthma has an asthma attack due to the second hand smoke then wouldn’t that be the fault of the staff?

I think the main two reasons I have seen are to firstly set a good example to cadets. As on organisation we have a responsibility to provide good role models for the cadets, and if we’re enabling smoking during our activities what sort of example is that setting? Secondarily (and I believe the catalyst for this change) is to bring us in line with MOD policy. All MOD bases now ban smoking, and there is a massive push to completely eradicate smoking in the armed forces, why should we be any different?