New Smoking and Drinking Policy

So what you’re saying is that, once again, we have a policy that hasn’t been properly thought out, with all possibilities covered?

3 Likes

With more hair?

1 Like

That will never fly

1 Like

I mean by coincident we haven’t had alcohol at Sqn Dinners for a couple of years (staff who can’t / don’t want to drink), by default the guests haven’t even.

Never once has it impacted a venue taking us on - we are up front at the very beginning with the fact we’ll have no alcohol (in fact on some occasions they’ve taken money off the total cost!), or a guest hasn’t come to the meal because we aren’t drinking.

Always been very successful.

Maybe biased because I don’t drink alcohol but I don’t see any problems whatsoever with the new policy, and for those who do enjoy an alcoholic beverage when away there is still a few caveats where you can.

I’m sure we all have stories on people (and regularly) who don’t behave with alcohol, are hung over in the mornings, or pressurise others into drinking particularly with the lower costs. It’s no surprise that they are taken a firmer worded policy because people roll their eyes and go whatever

2 Likes

A spot of CCF/ATC cooperation in mind? :joy:

3 Likes

Just realised I can reuse my post from 9 days ago…

1 Like

I’ve said it before (possibly this week) making events harder rather than banning them completely is the “pause” culture creeping in.
Reducing the likelihood of events taking place =lower risks

(That should read)
…at any event or activity?

I’m not suggesting CFAVs are pouring vodka over their morning cornflakes or drinking past midnight regularly let alone in the 8 hours prior to a Cadet event but seriously how is anyone going to know…do we know now (pre-policy) when ppl stopped drinking?

But not on our face #beardsrule

1 Like

Also @moderators can we combine these comments into the previous thread on this topic?

1 Like

I would just like to state for the record, that, should any pictures of my sqns dining in night end up on social media, ALL the drinks you can see in the pictures are non-alcoholic. Honest.

1 Like

There is an all important caveat that doesn’t work (I don’t think) at dining in nights as you wouldn’t be off duty

“By exception, CFAVs may, when off duty and out with the necessary supervisory ratios, consume moderation at external functions, in military messes and when deployed.”

What I read from this is that as long as there are CFAV’s that haven’t had a drink and supervisory ratios are correct, others could still have something.

Doesn’t work at squadron dining in nights because alcohol isn’t to be served if cadets are present full stop.

1 Like

Considering existing policy was to have an on duty ratio of sobers, is this change more weighted towards considering the potential influence on cadets being around their (hopefully) respected leaders and mentors drinking?

1 Like

This!

The policy means that cadets won’t see moderate, responsible drinking by staff that followed the old rules. Drinking in moderation set a good example for cadets, many of whom already drink.

Some cadets will still see irresponsible, excessive drinking by the same staff that didn’t follow the old rules, because they’ll ignore the new rules too.

I’d prefer to enforce the existing rules rather than a draconian restriction on everyone.

2 Likes

But then then whole statement contradicts itself.
No drinks when cadets are present but you can if supervisory ratios are maintained and those that do have a drink are off duty (Overnight camps) and then can only do so in moderation

AND there are no cadets present e.g. you’re in the Officers Mess or whatever and they’re off in their accommodation and there are suitable ratios of not drinking staff to take care of them.

2 Likes

Exactly. How many camps set up a CFAV “mess” that does not allow entrance to cadets and a duty team for the evening.

The only thing this appears to have effected is dining in nights.

Plus fundraising, we used to make well over 50% of the money at our Quiz Nights, Race Nights and BBQ’s over the bar.

It’s things like that which probably weren’t considered when the policy was put together.

2 Likes

What I did at one dinner was after the meal the adult retired to the bar which was in a separate room to the cadets.

Only the duty staff could go into where the cadets were & they didn’t drink.

Adult as such were not drinking in the presence of the cadets & this was kept strictly separate.

What I am probably going to do is speak to our venue well ahead of time & see if we can get the non-alcoholic /low alcoholic alternatives.

It might allow the bar to still make money with us also complying with the rules. They can also use us as a trial for their other customers.

Then the 1.5% is taken from the three schools I’ve worked in the 24 months surely. At least half of the kids vape.