New PAM 21-C

Is also on SharePoint HERE

Some very interesting changes!

Summary of the more interesting changes? I can’t download it for some reason.

Firing from other positions is a big one.
Cadets and CFAV can now fire the L98 from any of the positions except standing, provided that they have been properly trained* and have previously fired similar practices from the prone position.

They can also fire from the fire trench.

*Of course, they should have been properly trained anyway because we are required to deliver the lesson “Firing from other positions” as part of the safe system of training.

am i being blind or have all references to QCwht been removed?

All direct references to previous qualifications have been removed and are referenced as “past courses” and their ongoing validity is accepted as the “past courses rule” (0136)

When firing on Indoor Rimfire/Tube/Air Rifle ranges, there are occasions when the RCO may also act as a safety supervisor. Namely when there are 2 firers or less. A few other conditions apply.

That’s OK, downloaded and read - mmm, multi position shooting. Someone get an ETR booked!

Ahhh, boo - received the inevitable ‘no-one in the ACO is authorised to conduct multiple position shooting until courses of fire have been released & they have been trained’ email.

Surely if you remain in the kneeling position (for example) for the entire shoot, it is not “multiple position shooting”. :slight_smile:

How widely sent was this email? Not seen anything personally on teh general account, so in theory could run a multi position shoot this weekend…

Not sure - it came via our Wg Shooting officer, but the email he forwarded didn’t have any signature block or ways to ID who it’s come from.

We’re still waiting for formal notification that this document exists - let alone that we can’t use parts of it!!!

As it says in the front of the pam, it is the individual’s responsibility to ensure they are using the latest version.

That said, we have been told to not use it until hard copies are available as it presents an “issue”, apparently. I didn’t think it presented many issues that couldn’t be solved with a printer…

Have had this from the WShoO advised to retain old copies until issued the latest version in hard.

This is what the internal comms review should pick up, info like this should go corps wide, or as an announcement on Sharepoint. In fact the new PAM should be an announcement as its a big change in policy for one of our most popular activities.

Given that the WHTs have been removed from Pam21C, which WHTs should we be using for the No8 and L81A2 rifles?

One of the things that need to be in place before we can run multi-positional shoots on the L98A2 is suitable courses of fire in cadet approved publications - i.e. either CCRS competition shoots, or in ACTO48, or approval to use AOSP shoots. A TG policy letter is imminent explaining the adoption of MPS in the ACO.

With regards to the use of Pam21c 2013, the guidance received from OC TAG TA is that is it should now be used. I understand hard copies are in the process of being distributed. All OC SATT’s (and thus some WgShOs) will have received commentary from OC TAG TA on the adoption of PAM21c and the need (or otherwise) for hard copies etc.

Cadet course of fire - surely just go to the AOSP, extract all the suitable practices, stick in a document labelled Cadet Shooting Policy. Job done.

As it says in the front of the pam, it is the individual’s responsibility to ensure they are using the latest version.

That said, we have been told to not use it until hard copies are available as it presents an “issue”, apparently. I didn’t think it presented many issues that couldn’t be solved with a printer…[/quote]

bumping into our local SATT member this week (he dropped into Sqn) i asked him when can i expect to know about bioth new PAMs formally and when can i expect to recieve the Sqn copy.

he said that Sqns are unlikely to recieve a copy of either , as they are both readily available on Bader.
he went on to explain that it took some convincing to have the 25 copies SATTs are entitled to, after tehy (SATT) explained that they run “open book exams” as part of courses which woudl require a book…alternatives were to offer iPad style devices with the PAMs on!

i am surprised at this response if only because it states in the front cover (or close to) the scalilng at each level which includes 1 per Sqn

the same officer mentioned this very point…apparently the Army said “just use the PAM” to which the answer “we have no PAM for these weapons” came as quite a surprise and confusion to the Amry, and has resulted in "we can expect them in "due course answer…so we have some something delivered by 2020!

There is a PAM for the L81A2, with the RHT in the back. AC71847, 2007 edition.

For the L81A2 you could used AC 71847, “The L81A2 Cadet Target Rifle”. The ATC are scaled for it, though I don’t know how up to date it is.

EDIT: redowling beat me to it!