New MOI Course

No, but we have been getting better at using the correct spanners for them, rather than a hammer or screwdriver!

1 Like

Iā€™ve not actually seen any difference in staff or cadets in terms of delivery. I donā€™t watch youngsters any and get a wow factor. If things are better I canā€™t see it.
The inst technique is included in the MOI and then padded out.

@Teflon is there anything actually wrong and/or bad with the current MoI?
Any specific things?

Stop feeding the troll.

Just because i donā€™t just fall inline with a love fest is not trolling.

No youā€™re right. Thatā€™s your constant bemoaning of anything outside of 1952, your pedantry, your incessant vitriol towards anyone in paid employment, your dismissal of new concepts, your comparisons with your own family and employments and your antiquated methods and opinions.

6 Likes

Not wishing to stir a Hornets nest here, but I feel I must come to Teflons defence here. By and large I agree with the fundamentals of what he is saying. I was a Cadet when Staff P2 existed, and it worked well. MOI can easily be delivered without a course.

But when we consider what is happening for the older Cadets now, I see it as no suprise so many leave. We are putting endless requirements upon them. Some I agree are essential, ie post 18 induction / safeguarding etc, but a lot of the rest just puts greater demands on them at a time when education / work etc is pulling them so many different ways, and the weak link that will give is Cadets.

I stayed as a Cadet until I timed out, right through post 18 education, but when I look at what we are insisting they do now, and compare against what I did at that stage of my Cadet time, I think my desire to stay past 18 would be a lot less than it was.

I did, and I think most of our Cadets now join because they want to have fun, and a break from school and education of that nature. All I see is more and more moves to make Cadets more like school, and I really feel this is wrong. Also, the more of these courses we run, the more demands that are placed on staff, which we all know we all struggle with. But without some of these, could that time be used to run activities that are far more enjoyable to all?

2 Likes

Essentially as per @alexw it doesnā€™t need to be a course, just a document to be read, do some practice lessons and then a bulk gathering one evening to do the assessed lesson bit.

Also the content ref LD and styles, is all well and good but where is the support etc to properly support these cadets? I know teachers with 20+ years experience and they struggle with differentiation, as they call it, without additional classroom support and the resources they get from the SEN people. We do our best and itā€™s all we can do, unless you have an army of staff all competent in the subjects who can do 1-1.

So you whinge that the support isnā€™t their for the Cadets who deliver training whilst at the same time suggesting that the best way for the same Cadets to learn is by reading a book and then having a go supported by whatever staff happen to be available locally?

6 Likes

The ONLY way you can learn MOI effectively. Is to:

1)Be shown a solid lesson
2) Be trained around the techniques and issues you may need to be aware ā€¦this has to be hands on not reading a bloody book! You need to see examples and live demonstrations
3) have a go and then develop and learn through feedback.

2 Likes

Or be born brilliant at everything, like Teflon is.

4 Likes

Has anyone managed to get the PowerPoint to work? Iā€™ve downloaded it but it seems corrupted. (For Presentation skills)

I donā€™t have access to it, but iā€™ve seen the powerpoint working before.

If anyone has a working version they can email over it would be appreciated

There is something wrong as when I tried to save it so I could cut out a load of the rubbish I couldnā€™t. For some bizarre reason itā€™s protected, God knows why.

I think itā€™s Vegas like the radio itā€™s a presentation file rather than a PowerPoint to stop editing.

This ensures the same course is deliver across the country.

If you think amendments are needed suggest them up the training chainā€¦

1 Like

Or just change the file extension and edit away :slight_smile:

1 Like

You canā€™t turn a ppsx back in to a pptx just by changing the file name

Correct however changing a pps/ppsx to ppt works

Every dayā€™s a school day!

2 Likes