New CAC Announced

In terms of understanding the CCF I hope you are right. Not only are the state school and independent school CCFs different, but each independent school has a unique history and has ,to date, delivered their offering quite differently. Trying to impose a one size fits all is therefore unlikely to be a success. As an aside, following a Biennial inspectional at my local CCF I emailed the reviewing officer, a Regional Commandant, offering my time if he would like to explore the potential pitfalls of his new CCF command responsibilities. I assume he has all the information he required as I had neither an acknowledgement nor a reply.

1 Like

I asked and was told they will be represented … not sure who by?

I got the same with my Wing Commander (for my supernumerary role)

2 Likes

spotted this note on his desk, trying to do damage control it appears :joy:

3 Likes

Of course it’s damage control. But at least he realises the damage and wants to control it from the CFAV and cadet POV. More than can be said from before.

6 Likes

Watched it back finally was promising, however CAC did keep pointing out external factors that influence thing. So id just temper expectations. But maybe thats just me

The big thing was comms and starting with WHY. Nail that then change is easier to digest and understand, you then get minimal disgruntledness. This is the big win for me out of watching it back.

6 Likes

Before?

there was no before, there was no Comdt between 2020 and last week

2 Likes

He definitely seems more active on social media! About 25 Instagram stories a day :joy:
Aunty Dawn was the Twitter Queen, what are we calling him??

Very busy on Facebook, too - Meta Man, perhaps?

Insta CAC…

Or perhaps we give him a chance first… :rofl::joy:

well at least he’s got the pretence of trying :smile:

In all seriousness, fingers crossed for his sake, because if on here is anything to go by he has a lot of very upset Staff and Volunteers to placate.

2 Likes

Maybe placate is the wrong word, maybe he needs to be brutally honest about the direction and funding of the RAFAC and remember he is constrained by OC 22 Group on what he can do. By asking CFAVs on the units what needs to be done, without the filter of higher CFAV and HQAC management, maybe a good start, possibly uses his CoS to run the office and take time to get out of the office and visit AEFs, VGSs and units.

4 Likes

I think, fundamentally, that either HQAC/22Gp give us loads more stuff - flying, camps etc… or they have to release the toddler reins, and let us do stuff on a local level.

Sadly, they’ve got no stuff to give, and no appetite to dismantle the barriers that they have put in place to allow us to get on without their assistance.

I’m just seeing people ‘quietly quitting’ - just turning up to less, not putting as much energy into either what they do, or in overcoming obstacles that get in the way. People not extending their appointments - and, bluntly, just grasping any old excuse to get out of the drudgery.

I’m the same.

4 Likes

I imagine this would go a long way, particularly in Southwest.

The danger with brutally honest is it’ll quite possibly wreck what’s left of any morale amongst RAFAC. I understand the need to deliver a level of clarity and be frank to cadets and staff alike about what can and cannot be delivered, but he’s got to tread a fine line. Though I’m sure that’s what you intend.

Hell, I mean in some instances giving us flying at all would be nice. I know they’re constrained by what third parties deliver, but if they are unable to deliver (and that would appear to be the case) then certain other people ahem OC 22Grp need to realise that it is far better to be honest and admit you’re failing, rather than point blank deny anything is wrong.
To be clear, that’s not what he’s done (to my knowledge, though given what’s just emerged with FOIs and things not actually being released when they exist, i’ll hold my breath), but giving RAFAC as a whole a bit of leeway to conduct flying and gliding outside of AEFs would help no end.

And while it’s probably too late to revive JL, ACLC, and the like (lost skillset, and so on) it would be nice to see it make a return in another format, with the fun bits and bobs (1.5 mile run at the start, teambuilding exercises with an element of risk/reward, and so on) included.

While I didn’t see that on a major scale (though I saw a TEST SNCO pretty much go “I’ve had enough” and stop turning up. CCF experience :+1:), it is definitely wearing to hear as a cadet that another camp has been axed, so and so AEF flight planned got scrubbed (for the metaphorical 273rd time), and (obvious, noticeable) steps to… well, ensure that that doesn’t happen would be a very good countermeasure against “quiet quitters”

Heck, we have a gliding club that’s less than 5 miles from us, could we not use that?

1 Like

42 posts were merged into an existing topic: Flying slots

When did we half cuban away from the CAC topic over here?

I appreciate the discourse is of a passionate topic, but it’s not the title of this one.

1 Like
2 Likes

seems to be ticking lots of "positive boxes there for me

on SM, but not “over doing it” with a weekly round up.
being seen with Cadets
the Cadets happy to be seen with him
good mix of “work” and “play” (ie doing the “9-5” while also getting out and about)

long may this approach continue

5 Likes

Seems a nice change :rofl:

1 Like