New ACC Forum

and despite the work I’ve done with Discourse, that is still my major worry - That the Mods and senior / long time users don’t like it.

I don’t want to force something that will drive users away!

I want to have a place that is easy to use and attracts members not turn them off.

I’ve looked at phpBB many times and I’m the opposite - I just don’t like it - It’s big, clumsy and not really geared up for modern tech. Unless we can find a way to shoe horn those features in. I worry about being able to keep it up to date and secure.

I’m happy to install phpBB again and give it another go - things might have got better, also will we be able to get the data transferred?

I’ll have a look :slight_smile:

Thanks all,

DJ

I’ve just done a quick search and getting the data into phpBB looks like a nightmare!! Convert to SMF then phpBB2 then update to phpBB3!! and then it’s not guaranteed to be perfect :frowning:

also just reading their forum is hurting my eyes :wink: how cluttered and busy? I know it’s only my opinion but wow! :wink:

Don’t quite understand what people find ugly about Discourse, its so much cleaner and simpler. Perhaps that’s my “millennial” modern view.
Although it does look nicer with the smaller icons.

I also quite like Discourse.

Thanks for the feedback,

I’m waiting for pEp to give me some more thoughts - Hopefully Batfink will take a look too (for mods they can log in and take a look around)

Hopefully it’ll be positive

Cheers,

DJ

Well, here it is!

It seems nice - I like the instant post previews. I’ll prefer it once my read/unread statuses are all up-to-date though.

Yeah, I really like the functionality it brings.

I really hope everyone enjoys it the same as I have getting it all together!

The read/unread thing will either sync or it will start from now :confused: just start scrolling through topics :wink:

The quote system is cracking, just highlight the text in the post and click quote!

Shall take a bit of adjusting to, but looking good so far. Can’t make any sense of the post-count ‘itemisation’ sub-totals. Anyway, thanks again for sorting-out my login!!

wilf_san

Yeah those numbers haven’t quite translated well to the new system.

This one also counts posts read and time spent reading, you’ll level up really fast though - in fact I think I need to promote you!

Cheers

Just noticed, when logged in there doesn’t seem to be any indication that you are logged in other than being able to reply to posts etc and the “sign up & log in” buttons disappearing.
Additionally when logged in, the only way to log out to to navigate to your profile and then click the log out button. could the log out button not replace the “sign up & Log in” buttons?

Edit, and its not exactly simple to navigate to your profile either.

Surely the avatar in the top right will change if you are logged in; either the default initial in a circle or the image you have selected for use. :slight_smile:

(and of course you won’t see the “log in” ad “sign up” options)

Ahhh ok, I see what my problem is then. because I don’t currently have an image set is just shows a blank button that’s the same colour as the background header bar.

Edit, Yep now that I have a profile picture all my issues are resolved :smile:

Don’t know what any of that technical jargon nonsense means.

But I don’t like this new forum.

Seems too crowded, over complicated and looks naff. And no very user friendly.

Could be me though. I hate technology. I much prefer the way it was.

Sorry you’re not a fan (yet?)

It is different, but I think it does focus on the conversation more…

give it time, the more you use it and join the discussions the more I think you’ll get to like it :wink:

Cheers

DJ

The mobile version is much much better

2 Likes

Does this work with tapatalk?

Not at the moment. There’s a lot of talk with the developers about it, they say because the mobile version of discourse is very friendly there may not be a need.

If you think Tapatalk would be better than the mobile experience we have I can chime in the discussion and put our case forward.

Personally, using Tapatalk removes a lot of the functionality you have on the mobile site.

Cheers

I like tapatalk because I have all my forums in on place rather than going through a browser.

That’s the benefit of Tapatalk, I’ll see what the current state of play is with the developers.

Agree. Tapatalk is great. If I need to use the other functions then I can go on the web browser.