NCO to Officer... but what about

If we weren’t all actually doing the same job I could see how if you felt you’d taken the wrong stream and wanted to be more hands on that it could make sense.

As it happens I think we are all double, triple and who knows how many hatting all the time!

1 Like

It’s what I do

It’s also a complete pig of a process. As is going the other way.

It’s not just the joining process (now you lot have got me doing it) that’s a painful drudgery.

We really could benefit from streamlining internal “transfer” - as well as make it less patronising to those who have already been around a bit.

In the theoretical world I can kind of understand this, but the reality is that if you have to do the hands off stuff, it’s because of availability of people and expertise and not because of what’s on your shoulders.

Seems to me that there are just fewer reasons to actually go from Officer to NCO than the reverse. And those reasons are mostly based in traditional attitudes, such as the expectations of NCOs being drilly and love parades and shouting… Etc.

With what you know going into it, I’m not sure how many people spend a year or few wearing a barcode and think to themselves “I really miss barking orders on the parade square”.

2 Likes

No I agree, and to be honest one of my favourite things (even) as an officer is teaching lessons with cadets… it’s what I joined for; to teach the yoof something useful!

I’ve never felt unable to do that as an officer as opposed to a NCO. Also, our squadron has no adult NCO’s so drill and discipline I tend to look after too…

But I thought it was an interesting question at least…

Don’t disagree. It goes back to the age-old debate about blurred lines and no clear demarcation of roles between ranks, and the cause of that being the overall lack of uniformed CFAV leaving us now choice. Which leads us back down the different rabbit holes of other threads.

For the initial questions:

• It’s possible
  • No one (who has responded so far that I recall - not that my laziness allows me to bother double checking) can think of anyone who’s done it

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.