National Townhalls

There will always be people who it doesn’t work & I get that but less than 48 hrs notice is discourteous

2 Likes

…but unless you are a Walty Ninja these areas are FUBAR - so might be worth a chortle to listen to the playback with a frothy one over the weekend

Agreed & it’s now balkanised into factions, roughly as I see it (with a bit of tongue in cheek :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Target shooters - sport/civilian, high level comps ISCRM, can be bullet polishers

Service rifle - CISSIM, only interested in SR, basically the “more dakka” camp

Bushcraft survivalist - into the fieldcraft, not bothered by blank firing, effectively aggressive scouting. trends towards the Ray Mears world.

RAF Regiment cadets - want everything to be real because they are real. Want to do army stuff without being in the army cadets.

All four groups want guns but in different ways & for different reasons & the ebb & flow of the politics is why things have gone a bit FUBAR.

2 Likes

2 day’s notice is poor form even if yours isn’t a unit that meets on the night that it has been called.

Wednesday is commonly a meeting night for sports clubs too, as well as other social events. I wonder how many potential attendees already have something booked on for the night?

1 Like

Is this still a thing? My sqn used to have a regt/special/field training flt, with black cap badges, regt rank slides, and other unauthorised badges worn with combats.

2 Likes

I was more opining a generalisation of a faction/philosophy - the mindset is true in some but reality is that people are a bit more nuanced.

Sure some sqns have gone full regiment flight

Did suggest the idea/concept here

2 Likes

In some wings and regions its far more seemless.

Areas of interest within the shooters doing both L98 and L81, CISSAM and ISCRM. Lots of activity. The L81 deckchair-sitting, Pimms-Drinking, bullet polishers, :wink: :kissing_heart: supporting the 98ers…

The new fieldcraft manual, now combines L98 to progress to the higher levels.

Support Air Rifle at sqn/sector level.

Just my views at a local level.

3 Likes

Just admit it… it was your flight and you were the only member, because the others just weren’t ally enough. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can feel @AlexCorbin shuddering from here

Regt Flt was history by the time I got onto what had become ‘Special Flt’ and almost immediately became ‘Field Training Flt’. Within that flt, the two of us responsible for selection and training wore regt rank slides, others wore different illegal badges (nav and engr brevets, telecommunications badge, etc.)

1 Like

Were you from a squadron on the southcoast, near a major port?

No. I guess we weren’t the only ones then?

1 Like

The word is used.

1 Like

Something that’s being suggested is that the town hall have more of a discussion forum opportunity rather than policy announcements so things can be shaped before implementing.

As a topic suggestion, Squadron Owned Vehicles & the processes around them particularly as they are civilian owned vehicles so standard RAF MT processes don’t apply in the same way due to the operators difference.

2 Likes

Totally agree. Needs to inckude FMT105 policy, rest hours before driving MT vehicles, use of minibuses abroad, tachometer rules in Europe, calibration requirements.

I can’t seem to get on the Town Hall tonight. What’s going on with it?

So, anything of interest from tonight? Can’t make it so would be good to get any insights.

L81s due to be retired in 2026 and due to cost they won’t be replaced. A knock on is L144 will be ended as it’s the stepping stone to the L81.

We will have air rifle and L98 only.

They are looking to roll out an air rifle SAAI course as well and the Short Range RCO course will be revamped.

There are plans to get more air rifles and temp ranges out there.

Yet as always all of the above could change and is subject to sign off.

2 Likes

Since when is the L144 a stepping stone to L81. Surely it’s AR, L144, L98, L81? (In that order)

Using the L81 as an excuse to remove small bore shooting seems like a stretch.

7 Likes

Similar drills and progression, traditionally you had to do No 8 before anything else anyway.

They had us change the L144 drills from L98 progression to the L81 progression and target rifle style drills to enable more movement in that direction.

2 Likes