Name Badges

I know they’re strictly verboten but if one wanted to trace a supplier of name badges and in particular the ‘RAF Style’ ones with white writing on a blue background where would be a good place to start?

The internet has so far drawn a blank, I can only find embroidered badges whereas the ones I’m after are sort of engraved plastic. (If that makes sense)

Local cobbler?

Key-cutters will normally do them.

Timpsons do them. As you say they are a no no unless you’re on a course

Much appreciated. I’ll have a look in at Timpson’s I think.

EDIT: May give Timpson’s a miss. Their prices are almost at Cadet Direct levels of extortion!

Ebay. Cheap as chips.

Yep, we’ve settled on a bloke an ebay who’s even willing to change the dimensions for us so they match our old ones. Top bloke.

Don’t suppose you have a link to his ebay shop?

PM on its way.

I far prefer the current style of RAF name badges. White background, black writing with corporate logo.

Never quite got the idea behind name badges or the almost ubiquitous photo ID badges you see people wearing round their necks. I know what my name is and if someone doesn’t and wants to know they can ask me.

Name badges, especially fancier ones, are handy for someone who is working in the public eye - mostly recruiters at the local careers office or on a stall at a local fair…

Wearing ID badges I can also get to some extent when there is a need for a visible token to validate the rights of an individual to be on a military establishment (yes, it is far from foolproof). Most bases I have ever been on (except sometimes Cranwell) didn’t seem to care for this but we’ve recently seen an increase in this due to the security situation.

There is zero need for ATC personnel to do this on their squadron, but some people just like to feel special.

NAME BADGES - although I may have a less than ideal solution, the very long term supplier of name badges to my (Service) rifle club has “hung up” his engraving machine.

Please has anyone got suggestions for an alternative supplier? The existing design is a 3 colour badge, with 3 equal width strips of red, white & blue plastic, with engraving on each line. Width = about 6 cm, each strip about 1.5 cm high, so total “height” about 4.5 cm. Actual dimensions for a replacement wouldn’t have to match exactly, it’s the ability to find someone who can make them that would be the higher priority.

Ah, the good old “the person is wearing a local ID badge so they have the right to be there” syndrome. Er, no. Even if it is the pukka F1250, it can generate a sub-optimal approach towards security. At Marham, all personnel had a local badge with photo & “zoned” lettering. This had become a “right to access” badge. I had a bet with OC Police that I could beat the system, but asked for a memo confirming this just in case I got “apprehended.” I went to one of the Tornado sqns & told the Adjt that I was doing a spot check of classified documents, got immediate access (via my local badge that I had made myself for the correct zone!!), & chose 2 classified documents that I had the necessary viewing rights for (we had them on our sqn). I carried out a page check, signed each document to that effect, & left the premises… OC Police refused to believe me until he verified the document checks. The whole system was changed very rapidly!!

Indeed, as of Dec 14 it became mandatory for pers at Linton to have their MoD90 (or civilian equivalent) “on show and visible” at all times; I’ve only ever known this to be the case at Cranwell before. It’s quite interesting seeing how different people achieve this…ID clipped to MTP rank slides…clipped to pockets…underneath flying suits…on police belts…

Unfortunately, as a reservist, I wasn’t on station when this became mandatory and I happened to bump into the SWO on my first day back…

It’s now mandatory at RAF Woodvale as well. Even though it’s only a small station.

[quote=“Stand Out” post=24078]Indeed, as of Dec 14 it became mandatory for pers at Linton to have their MoD90 (or civilian equivalent) “on show and visible” at all times; I’ve only ever known this to be the case at Cranwell before. It’s quite interesting seeing how different people achieve this…ID clipped to MTP rank slides…clipped to pockets…underneath flying suits…on police belts…

Unfortunately, as a reservist, I wasn’t on station when this became mandatory and I happened to bump into the SWO on my first day back…[/quote]

So as a CI I’m expected to ponce around Linton with my driving license clipped to my forehead?

1 Like

Nah, don’t be silly. The guardroom will issue you with a bit of coloured card with a low-quality photo stuck onto it and you clip THAT to your forehead.

1 Like

Nah, don’t be silly. The guardroom will issue you with a bit of coloured card with a low-quality photo stuck onto it and you clip THAT to your forehead.[/quote]

This. I’ve seen them stuck pretty much everywhere apart from one’s forehead, therefore please be my guest.

Ponce away, most of us do.

Hi, appreciate this is an old feed but, any idea where on ebay I can find these? I am coming up blank… and going blind on ebay scrolling!

No idea sorry. Don’t think we even went through with the purchase in the end.