NACATC questions

Hi,
I’m looking to do AT courses later in the year and I was wondering what the NAC Fairbourne and Windermere are like? Couldn’t see an existing post when I searched but appologies if so.

I’m thinking things like adult accomodation (shared or single rooms?, Freezing, boiling or somewhere ok (appreciate this is subjective), adult toilets (shared?) wifi (probably not?), phone signal (ditto), food (I know there is food there, but will I need snacks :joy:)

TIA

So Windermere is all new and shiny having been recently been refurbished. I’ve not seen inside yet, but both centres are shared adult accommodation. Depending on the course you are there for, you might be only a few people in quite a large centre so may well have your own room.

Both for me have always been fine temperature wise.

Wifi available at both. Signal fine at Windermere and generally OK for me at Fairbourne too (on 3) - although sometimes patchy inside @ Fairbourne.

Both centres are now contract catering - my only experience is of Fairbourne which is generally OK food (three course evening meal, normal cooked breakfast / cereals), although lunches can be a little lacking so some snacks would be advised.

I can only comment on Fairbourne as i havent been in windermere since the refurb.

Accomodation: you are normally put in shared accomodation, they wont pay for the cleaner to clean all the rooms if there is only a couple of people in. If you are clean and tidy and the place is empty then nip into a free room and say nothing. Give it a clean and a hoover when you are done.

Temp: the heating is pretty good so not normally an issue, we had a full room so was a bit warm at night, open window sorted it out in no time.

Wifi, its ok (you need to sign when you get the code that you wont abuse it) but i found signal on 3 was fine (i watched iplayer on my phone signal and it was spot on).

Toilets: Male adult block in the stores building, the shower screens are clear facing into the room so get ready for a show when you walk round the corner. Fairly decent nick otherwise. Cannot comment on the female showers.

Food: Fairly standard grub, but if you dont like the random parings they sometimes concoct. There is a pub a few mins walk up the road and a chip shop in the opposite direction with a shop next to it. You will survive either way.

Depending on your course and instructor, there’s always potential for afternoon tea and cakes on the way too/from venues - help to top you up after a hard day of Adventuring and Training! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @redowling, @Batfink and @intruder - I get a bit anxious about going to new places so that is helpful.

Particularly amused with the above quote re. showers, forewarned is forearmed as they say :rofl:

Take an eye mask. The outside security lights at Fairbourne don’t turn off. Ever. And the curtains are MOD quality. So they shine in through no problem. I try and grab a bottom bunk and create a den by pinning a blanket or towel under the top mattress.

I also find it too hot at night, but there is a fan kicking about if you can grab it.

Last time I was at Fairbourne we stayed on the side with the main hall and kitchen. Got a room to myself most of the week bar 1 day. Showers were at some point communal but had had cubicles fitted in a random way, and the shower nozzles point straight out under the doors.

At Windermere I echo the above re: using a towel and making a den if possible. I haven’t been since the refurb though. If there aren’t any women on your course I recommend using the upstairs female staff shower, it’s much better than the male ones.

They do, but I think those showers are ace - high pressure, hot and high volume! Or, at least, they have been when I’ve been there!

2 Likes

Someone hadn’t turned on the heating element on my trip (I think we first met then?). It was sorted later on though, but not before I braved what was essentially a car pressure wash in freezing water.

1 Like

Also, if you snore, find a private room. On pEp and mine’s Level One course someone in the main hall snored like a boar, and we were knackered all week. (Unlike the rest of our course who slept every day in the bus between Windermere and Clitheroe, pEp and I were the drivers, so had to be awake at least one way.)

1 Like

Reminds me of a weekend. Group room, the resident snorer demoted themself to the drying room for night 2 out of the goodness of their heart after one poor soul had to skip the parade square in favour of a mid morning nap.

Yeah, was that a paddlesort course that week? Think it might have been my canoe leader assessment, and you guys were on paddlesport leader perhaps?

1 Like

I was once put in a room at one of your wing’s course weekends with two, ‘larger,’ officers. I gave up after an hour or so of one breathing in while the other breathed out, alternating in perfect synchronisation, and slept in the bar.

2 Likes

Sorry I’ve been away with work and haven’t had to reply!

Thank you very much for your responses, really helpful.

One more question, in the canteen, is there a set dress code like the mess so chinos and a polo etc or is it more relaxed? I’m guessing the latter?

It’s just the ATC staff using it, so yeah, it’s not like a mess.

1 Like

Thanks, thought it would be more relaxed and glad it is!

A good hint with the canteen is that as it’s caterers, the condiments and drinks are cheap.

I’ve seen loads of people take a stash of sauces, salt (fairbourne only have lo-salt), squash, tea and coffee.

It just makes life a bit more comfortable. Just don’t leave them out as you will find things go missing as people assume it’s there for everyone.

1 Like

This is a very good point - last time I was there they’d taken to putting the tea/coffee etc away in between meals. So take your own stash.

2 Likes

All my courses have chipped in for things like tea and coffee, and there is usually a course store of supplies for those things, because otherwise you can’t make tea, or even squash outside of meals. (Which is when I usually fill my flasks.)

1 Like

I hear gilets are mandatory :wink:

4 Likes