Mystery 'Air Force Ceremonial Stable Belt' material: any theories?

This is a new one on me, and might be >nothing< whatsoever to do with what the seller claims it to be… allegedly ‘Air Force Issue Special Events & Ceremonies Stable Belt Material’- has anyone ever seen this in use?

[URL]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Air-Force-Issue-Special-Events-And-Ceremonies-Stable-Belt-Material/401813831651[/URL]

(ps no, it’s not Air Cdre rank-braid…it’s described as being the same width as white courlene nylon drill belts / stable belts)

50p on this being a load of tosh

3 Likes

Is it Tactical Supply Wing Stable belt?

God knows.

But the concept of a “ceremonial stable belt” seems axiomatically incorrect.

3 Likes

It’s ebay the same things get called all sorts to attract buyers.

Could it be American? It doesn’t specify which Air Force

A fair point (from a language perspective) but I’ve never seen Americans wearing stable belts. Nor Canadians either (oddly enough).

In fact, other than Brits and possibly Dutch, stable belts may be a bit of an international rarity.

I did a bit of fishing around the internet and I didn’t find anything about that kind of stable belt even for native* Air Forces

*sorry if that word offends anyone I couldn’t think of a better word.

Almost like Army Air Corps, although colours are too light.

It seems a bit gaudy for any air force to wrap itself in. Giant rank braid is certainly a bold look.

1 Like

Could it be some material for a sword belt??

Sword belts are a lighter blue and gold

Yes the ceremonial ones but would they be the same as training ones??

You wouldn’t want all the fancy gold threads trashed just practicing.

Just a thought, I maybe totally wrong

From memory - though very dusty memory - the training sword belt was just plain webbing.

It’s a tangent, but I’d like to get my hands on one of those.

In the same way in which I stumbled upon that curious Ebay item, I >may< have come up with a possible solution to the mystery…stand by.

(ps a clue: if I’m right, the description is more correct in terms of ‘special events’ than ceremonial. And if I am correct, then yes, this is actually is RAF-related…or very nearly. Now that’s got you thinking…)

I’ve tried everything I can think of… Can’t find a darn thing…

ROC? But that would be quite old

Ah, you’re assuming the description is accurate?

No, I’ve still got my Corps stable-belt…it looks nothing like that.

My theory is…that it may be fabric for making either a squadron or service mess-dress cummerbund. Specifically, either PMRAFNS or RAF Medical Services, or an RAuxAF squadron version thereof

…which I shall make further enquiries about

Message sent to seller… :wink: