Mystery 'Air Force Ceremonial Stable Belt' material: any theories?

I actually saw a picture of a similar waist accoutrement between you saying you’d figured it out and you posting that. I had the same thought.

I did a google reverse image lookup… Botswana Defence force stable belt, Reme and Air Force apparently… make of it what you will

1 Like

From the seller:

Thank you for showing interest in our item, you quite right although this was manufactured in the UK by one of the M.o.D suppliers, it is not RAF issue.

It had a label saying Air Force special events and ceremonies, but no indication other than that.

Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT - old stock apparently, the supplier is no longer in business.

1 Like

Does it give dimensions?

Looks suspiciously like a roll of Air Commodore rank braid.

MB

Just seen your earlier post stating it wasn’t due to size but Air Commodore braid is 48mm wide, this is the same width as my PCS belt.

Edit: sellers description states it’s 2.5” (63mm) wide. Pretty sure it is just slightly large Air Commodore braid.

MB

My theory - it’s air commodore braid that’s been manufactured at the wrong dimensions, and they’re now trying to flog it as whatever they can!

1 Like

I suggest reference is made to AP1358c. If it is not in there, it’s not cosher. By the way, does the RAF have horses? (Stable)

but of course they do…

2 Likes

But what about my point regarding specific designs used for squadron & branch mess-dress cummerbunds & bow-ties? I can’t remember if there is a specific reference/dispensation regarding these in either AP1358C or AP1358.

And when you’re mentioning AP1358C…please bear in mind this thread wasn’t raised as a puzzle in the context of RAFAC. It was in a broader air force context, I think @MikeJenvey maybe has an answer for us.

It’s definitely not rank braid - it’s heavily woven exactly the same as a stable belt.
You could not make a cummerbund from it.