MTP Webbing

With the move towards wearing MTP, does anyone know if you can get MTP webbing? Or is the thinking using DPM webbing with MTP?

I suggest a little look on eBay. There is no reason to stop using any DPM webbing if you already have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can purchase MTP webbing. Its very over priced.

“BattleBelts” are the new thing on the block. A MOLLE belt so you can adjust the pouches. They are alright. Not as rugged or weight bearing as a good old set of webbing and has a few other niggles. Expensive too. Maybe good for cadets who carry less?

As stated in several threads some prefer DPM webbing as it helps break up the shape.
My webbing was mostly DPM with the a couple small MTP pouches for certain things.

MTP really isnt as great as everyone thinks. I loved my old DPM Windproof Arctic Smock. It was far better than any of the new jackets. And the shirts are terrible.

[quote=“RearAdmiralScrinson” post=24891]You can purchase MTP webbing. Its very over priced.

“BattleBelts” are the new thing on the block. A MOLLE belt so you can adjust the pouches. They are alright. Not as rugged or weight bearing as a good old set of webbing and has a few other niggles. Expensive too. Maybe good for cadets who carry less?

As stated in several threads some prefer DPM webbing as it helps break up the shape.
My webbing was mostly DPM with the a couple small MTP pouches for certain things.

MTP really isnt as great as everyone thinks. I loved my old DPM Windproof Arctic Smock. It was far better than any of the new jackets. And the shirts are terrible.[/quote]

They make those smocks in MTP now too.

I have a disciple battle belt, it takes a fair amount of pouches and the padding is like being hugged, once you have a battle belt and yoke it’s a simple case of buying Osprey pouches to suit your own loadout. However, it’s not as cheap as PLCE, so unless you have money to burn, don’t bother. (Although, prices have come down a fair bit in recent years.)
If you do have money to burn I recommend sharpshooter ammo pouches as they are the biggest for the front (the Single pouch is a waste of time for anything bar a single mag (unsurprisingly) and the double is just a little too snug for most useful items.
On the back, the Osprey utility pouches are much smaller than the old PLCE utility or water bottle pouches. So I wouldn’t bother. The Water Bottle or LMG pouches are the biggest, and will fit a water bottle (or mess tins at a push), but are still so small that they fit inside the old PLCE utility ones. So, whereas you could get Mess tins AND a Hexi cooker inside a PLCE utility, you can’t get them in an Osprey one. (Well, technically you can get them in, it just takes longer than you will have to brew up to get them out again!)
The first aid pouch is pretty cool though.

EDIT: They have also started making PLCE in MTP now, sadly the opportunity wasn’t taken to update the design at all, so it’s exactly the same stuff, just in the new colours.

1 Like

i personally would avoid webbing/belt-kit if possible - the number of times you’ll use it in the way it was designed, and is any good at, is going to be infitesimal.

go for a decent daysac, preferably something in olive or tan so you use it for civvy AT stuff (another black mark against belt-kit is you probably won’t want to take it on a day trip to london - unless you enjoy being stared at…).

if you absolutely must have webbing go for DPM, it does help break up the shape, and you’ll get a full set on fleabay for £35.

1 Like

The advantage of MTP webbing is it is mostly molle (they are a few making PLCE clones but they are naff). This means you can use whatever belt and yoke you want and stick on both issue and non-issue pouches. I personally find the osprey ammo pouches much easier to use than the old PLCE ones. Of course it will cost more than a set of used DPM PLCE so you will need to ask yourself if you are actually going to use it that much. I have MTP webbing but I am an ACF SAAI so I use it more than most people.

A decent daysack is a good idea as you will probably use it a lot more.

2 Likes

[quote=“talon” post=24921]The advantage of MTP webbing is it is mostly molle (they are a few making PLCE clones but they are naff). This means you can use whatever belt and yoke you want and stick on both issue and non-issue pouches. I personally find the osprey ammo pouches much easier to use than the old PLCE ones. Of course it will cost more than a set of used DPM PLCE so you will need to ask yourself if you are actually going to use it that much. I have MTP webbing but I am an ACF SAAI so I use it more than most people.

A decent daysack is a good idea as you will probably use it a lot more.[/quote]

I think you mean the new trend of Battle Belts which are MOLLE as stated above. There are MTP PLCE webbing sets and they are pretty good, except certain makes of Airborne Webbing where the pouches are intergrel to the belt and not seperate, I hwve had sets rip at the Mag pouch/belt area when tightened.

And I quite disagree I found the MOLLE nowhere near as hardwearing or comfortable and after a lot of mileage lost a lot of its shape and had to be constantly adjusted. And the “padding” never stays padded for long or in its shape.

PLCE is quite literally the best thing to use. Its far better, Harder wearing, comfortable and more spacious. I will try and get some pictures of my set.
I have used Assault Vests, Chest Rigs, Battle Belts, PLCE, and various other types and it litterally wipes the floor with everything else. Just not good as a driver!

Remember to double up the Load Bearing points with paracord, I have had a few metal buckles snap. Paracord makes a great back up. And carry a few little carabiners incase too.

What are you carrying?!

Just the usual. It does and can happen. Best to be prepared for it. (Obviously a cadet wont carry as much probably but these things can happen) Maybe faulty manufacturing.

I also keep a few big carabiners in my bergan to either attach 4 together to make a raft for river crossings or for when the shoulder straps go. As a quick fix works well.

As a note stay away fron the Roll Pin and the old Style climbing harness buckles for the belts. Stick with either the Riggers Belt style or good old fashioned Male and Female Clips.
The roll pin can be far too fiddly and hard to adjust and fit. And the old style climbing buckles have a tendancy to get stuck.

www.sofmilitary.co.uk usually have some good sale items, I made up my Battle Belt from under 30 quid.

NB that according to the latest Pam-21C replacement, instructors (inc RCOs) are not to wear webbing.

Not required to (as before), or actually prohibited?

(I can’t see why anybody would want to wear the stuff on a range unless it was mandated!)

Slightly misleading choice of words.
Instructors should wear webbing… They can’t properly instruct cadets/CFAVs in the correct weapon handling drills with webbing if they are not wearing it.

However for LFMT it states the following:

[quote=“wdimagineer2b” post=24939]However for LFMT it states the following:

Safety supervisors I can understand, but I’m trying to imagine how webbing can interfere with standing around, looking and shouting. Perhaps they think RCOs will be distracted by sandwiches and sweeties stashed in the pouches…

Mmmm, sweeties. Sorry what were you saying

I stand by what I said.

Not sure but it does introduce a requirement to NSP the webbing, which is a distraction and unnecessary anyway.

Where does your magazine go if you don’t have webbing :S

[quote=“juliet mike” post=25012]Where does your magazine go if you don’t have webbing :S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]The magazine goes in the firer’s webbing…

[quote=“MattB” post=25014][quote=“juliet mike” post=25012]Where does your magazine go if you don’t have webbing :S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]The magazine goes in the firer’s webbing…[/quote]

It could be placed upon the deck… its not like your cracking tactical reloads…

As a note

ukmcpro.co.uk had a few special offers on battle (MOLLE) belts.

:blink:
Unnecessary to check the ammunition pouches? Where they are putting ammunition?

If firers are wearing webbing then it absolutely should be checked as part of the NSP!
It’s not a distraction, it’s a simple part of the drill, and it’s absolutely mandatory.

EDIT - Or do you mean that webbing in general is a distraction and unnecessary?

1 Like