MOD Suspending Reserve Training

I have to wonder if the news that the Royal Navy Reserve has had training suspended and the Army Reserve has had its training cut is perhaps a precursor to cuts in Cadet Forces activity.

It’s very unclear as to whether what must have been substantial savings due to the lack of F2F during Covid-19 have been kept in RAFAC budgets or lost back to the MOD central pot; but this news does not bode well for a large number of camps and other activities in 2021.

1 Like

I think it will have an effect on us. I would not be surprised if our budget is dropped in some way, that might mean less pay days per person or we restrict the maximum claimed for a year across the org.

At the moment there seems to be an extreme scrutiny of budgets in the org anyway and it seems the new commandant is keen to continue that and work on exactly how and why we spend money.

We can kiss goodbye to any hope of flying coming back, certainly.

Time to look into the corporate sponsorship route. Won’t be long before the RAF doesn’t want to fund our uniforms.

We have difficulty in getting uniform at the moment.
I can see us have a new uniform policy next year.

Maybe you’ll all be CIs again soon… :wink:

6 Likes

I think it is about time, we became more self-sufficient as an organisation and relied less on the RAF. Where we are we have no real contact with RAF and we have become self-sufficient and it works well.

MSSC model?

There are definitely, some good examples of that. But like most things, its down to the personalities running it.

This old chestnut again

Are there too many layers of management in the RAFAC? Getting rid on one whole layer of would save much in the RAFAC budget.

2 Likes

the most common view is to get rid of RHQs, and I don’t see a downside to this

3 Likes

And the RAFAC cannot move to online DBS applications which would save money to protect jobs.

Madness

5 Likes

though with Defence Business Services Cheadle Hulme earmarked for closure in 2023 maybe that will change?

Yes or the Dutch Air Cadet model. Now might not be a great time to ask the aviation industry for cash, but they might be able to assist in kind. Furloughed pilots running PTT sessions maybe?

How much difference will these cuts make?
Unless you make real cuts and lose things and people rather rearrange things to make it look like you’ve lost people, only for them to pop up somewhere else with a different job title .

I wonder how long military cadets can carry on like we do? It can’t be too much longer before we get a ‘purple’ management structure, which filters down to community unit level over several years and we have a community CCF set up, but you need to get rid of the £80K plus mob first in the cadet side. The taxpayer just doesn’t get value for money from them.

The problem with the MoD (and NHS come to that) is they really don’t have a good track record when it comes to financial management at all. Thankfully they get given money and then more money when they’ve squandered the first lot. The MoD has been in a financial hole for years and just moves too slow in making cuts etc, to avoid upsetting people. Just look at the selling off of real estate, it takes years, if there was any desire it could be sold off much quicker and generate cash.

@Mr_OZ the problem with online DBS is it’s not adminny enough for the Air Cadets or the MoD. I bet when we do go to online DBS there will be several forms to fill in which will need to be posted to Wing, who will deny getting or sit on for weeks before sending people the link. a few days before their DBS expires. My Church DBS have taken 5 working days each from sending the link to cert on the doormat.

1 Like

What’s the Dutch model?

Dutch models?

1 Like

I walked into that one! :joy:

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue: First thing that came up on Google :sweat_smile:

I am also interested though on what the Dutch Air Cadets do that we don’t, as I’m not aware of how they work!

They’re jointly funded by the Dutch airforce and the aviation industry, so closer to our SCC. Interestingly it is run by their equivalent of RAFA rather than by their MOD.

Website link (in Dutch) http://www.nlac.nl/

Have to be careful on those Interwebs!

1 Like