Missing submersible

I think the news is gently trying to tell people this doesnt have a good ending with the way most outlets are wording their output

2 Likes

Even in the best case scenario, it’s floating on the surface, it will still be very very hard to find. It will be floating just under the surface from what I understand, so almost impossible to spot. It will be luck if it’s spotted. If it’s floating on the surface they also still have no air as it’s locked from the outside.

It’s a tragic situation, that frankly shouldn’t have been allowed to happen. It’s an ‘experimental’ craft so completely unlicenced/uncertified.

2 Likes

I would argue the same amount of money/effort would be used to save a bunch of tourists stuck.

Your net worth shouldn’t decide how much help you should receive in a life or death situation.

Agree. My issue is that on a day to day basis we see that poorer people don’t get that help. Nothing against the individuals, more of a complaint against government.

There’s thoughts that they might be on the surface…

The advantage of saving billionaires is that they might be willing to pay the money back…

2 Likes

Well, if the noises heard by maritime recce aircraft sensors are from the submersible, someone is still alive. Hopefully they can triangulate the noise to get a refined fix - but see below…

Then comes the recovery problem - need to get a ship with a suitable remote submersible into the correct area & in time before oxygen starvation onboard the Titan - & the submersible has to be able to attach to / lift the target.

Normally, for “normal” submarine depths (used to hunt them yonks ago!), I think most of the Atlantic has “direct path” sound characteristics (rather than the convergence zones you can get in the Mediterranean & Indian Ocean (huge difficulties in locating the pings from the Malaysian Air black box). However, very deep sea zones pull up other problems, such as ducting or deep scattering, so direct path sound may not necessarily be the case.

But do the news knowanymore than US coast guard or they just seeking attention.so until US coastguard give. A press statement this is a rescue missio not a recovery mission. Everything else is speculation.

US Coastguard Press briefing at 1300 hrs EDT (1800 hrs UK time)

Will be posted here afterwards.

Any updates via their Twitter feed.

1 Like

Oxygen starvation may not be the problem but carbon dioxide poisoning which will kill far more quickly.

This is a very good book telling how bad it is in these situations.

Very true - depends what kit they have onboard to deal with excessive CO2.

1 Like

I doubt they have very little if any oxygen candles or CO2 scrubbing chemicals.

If they do save them then a few million is nothing to a billionaire who I’m sure will make a hefty donation :moneybag: :moneybag: :slight_smile:
This morning they say they are flying a sub from the Channel Islands which can help, but will take about 3 days to get there, seems its been ready since Monday awaiting transport. Seems to me that is only going to be a recovery.

Let’s not forget they’ll have insurance to cover it.

I ski. A very middle class, expensive activity that, if anything were to go wrong, costs a lot to get sorted out. I have insurance that covers that. You’d have up assume something similar exists here, so costs aren’t really a thing.

1 Like

Not being anything other than pragmatic but this is also great training for these sorts of units of a type you can’t replicate.

I’ve seen Hems carry out some major surgery on a victim in the street (body open lungs outside working on the heart), they said afterwards it was a million to one shot that they could help him, but getting to practice that skill on a real person in a live environment is a chance that doesn’t come up often and could save another life down the line.

This is the same concept.

7 Likes

And at whatever depth, no self-sacrifice as per Capt Oates - “I am just going outside and may be some time”.

I tend to agree with you, they knew the risk and were ‘prepared’ to take that risk, sad but true.

Theyve found a debris field…

Possibly a very slim silver lining to things. If this debris field is from the submersible then the occupants would have likely perished instantly.

The best possible outcome would, naturally, the vessel being found intact and on the surface. I’d say this is, if it is them, is probably the second best possible outcome.

BREAKINGCoast Guard to give update on debris field at 15:00 local time

With the breaking news of a debris field being found in the search, US Coast Guard has announced it will hold a press conference at 15:00 local time (20:00 GMT).

A statement from the Coast Guard says the Horizon Arctic’s ROV (remotely operated vehicle) found debris on the sea floor near the Titanic wreck.

Rear Adm. John Mauger, the First Coast Guard District commander and Capt. Jamie Frederick, the First Coast Guard District response coordinator, will be speaking.

1 Like