Mandatory Training CFAV and Cadets

Anyone heard the Mental Health awareness course might be made mandatory? Just read on Facebook that they are thinking of pushing this to all wings :open_mouth: I’m gonna be more qualified than our local plod…

I’ve sat in the “let’s share” sessions and as long as you haven’t got the sort of people who get overly emotional watching a money begging advert they’re fine, as soon as you get people like that it descends into a farce. This is why I would sooner do an online course along with the fact they make these a day long affair and don’t need to be more than a couple of hours. I heard that LSCBs do free training for volunteer groups, which would be better than some internal thing.

The ATC is far too inward looking and thinks it’s all things to all people, when it came to “safeguarding” late in the day. I’d sooner report outside the Corps given the kids would want something done quickly. They also push this image of cadets coming and telling you everything. But do they?

I have experienced problems when we’ve had LAC cadets as social services are unwilling to tell you anything about the kid joining as we don’t have the right information sharing agreement and this is the same as schools. I had one where the social worker(s) had to sign all consent forms. It would like the ATC to set up sharing protocols with social services and schools.

1 Like

Almost like the AVIP Workbook except developed a bit more?

(side note, who knows if this workbook is up-to-date, or even the official HQAC version since i can’t find one of those on the Key Documents area)

Mainly tick boxes for topics. So should remain pretty relevant.

SMS might have changed, but “know how to add an event to sms” is still a relevant point.

The book is on Ultilearn, lms 113, adult volunteer induction package.

1 Like

Good evening everyone,
With the Bank Holiday weekend feeling very much like every other day atm, I’ve spent today putting together a poster/form for the mandated training listed in ACTO 99.
Could I get some feedback on it’s content?

https://fromsmash.com/ACTO99-StaffCadet

Update

And the collection of the main 4 (Staff Cadet, CI, SNCO & Officer)
https://fromsmash.com/ACTO99-Guides

4 Likes

This is awesome!

2 Likes

This would be awesome if you could combine withe the Pers 501-A so that there is a single, smart looking electronic document for the entire staff cadet process.

Would be great to see HQ engage

Glad you like it.
I think it’s all accurate . . .

Well once I’ve completed the set I’ll pass them to my WTO with my request that they get sent on up. Inevitably they will get lost somewhere . . .

1 Like

Doesn’t all that go on SMS any way?
Better to have a sheet printed direct from SMS, no?
This unless you could update and keep it purely electronically, would become another piece of paper at a time when I thought the thrust was to reduce admin.

Well yes, yes it does/should.

I’m not suggesting these should be used by everyone, nor that they should be used instead of the formal record of completion on SMS.
I’ve created them as a pdf form so yes they can be printed or kept electronic, and are there as a suplement of ACTO 99, for personal use if people feel it would help them keep on top of their mandated training.

Of course if/when @james_elliott and his team roll out a volunteer portal, I suspect these would become redundant as we’d have a nice shiny display of all mandated training within that.

It acts as a personal aide memoir for each individual staff member.

Currently me and my adj are working on getting fully compliant, I plan on recommending we bin who aren’t on return to unit without a valid reason.

It’s a painful manual check currently if each persons record.

1 Like

@james_elliott will volunteer portal have a Sqn OC view where we can see everything at a glance.
Specifically thinking all mandatory training with a traffic light system for each item.
Green - ok
Amber - 1 month to complete
Red - expired

That sort of thing.

Would be very helpful to see all staff in one view rather than have to check each persons individually.

Also very handy to have an auto-reminder scheduled with sensible lead times depending on where the trg / input can be actioned? For example, self-complete via Ultilearn = one month, Wg action = 3 months (or whatever).

1 Like

Yes with auto reminder containing links to take you straight to the material to complete.

1 Like

Hopefully, this will be available in the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) version of Volunteer Portal. We are hoping to publish the MVP documents shortly on SPOL so you can all have a read about what will and will not be there.

We are currently discussing how we can do the mandatory training aspect and who would be empowered to confirm, in an auditable/credible way, that a CFAV has actually completed a mandatory training element. For instance, would only the Sqn Cdr be able to say “Yes, this person has done it” or do we want that to be a perm staff function based on evidence etc etc. We haven’t decided one way or the other at the moment.

2 Likes

Although rather out-of-date considering it refers to basic, the template ToR for the Sqn Trg Off puts that job on the Sqn OC and Sqn Trg Off.

f. Ensuring all new staff and cadets over the age of 18 complete BASIC and ensuring they hold all the certificates of completion.
g. Assisting the Sqn Cdr in ensuring the Sqn staff and cadets comply with any training policy issue or directive as directed by HQ RAFAC, Region or Wing.
https://rafac.sharepoint.com/:w:/r/sites/interim/QM/_layouts/15/Doc.aspx?sourcedoc={AD3BC92F-7738-444E-AC67-0F936A689D4F}&file=TORs%20-%20Sqn%20Trg%20Officer.docx&action=default&mobileredirect=true

1 Like

Sure, appreciate that. But that doesn’t necessarily mean it was the right way for it to be done and we are challenging every process and workflow as part of this project :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The only elements of mandatory training that aren’t self complete via the LMS is First Aid, for which they get a certificate so that’s the proof there.

Climatic injuries could be done as a group but also available on the LMS to complete. This needs updating to SCORM so that we are training our staff to be commanders in this respect and not just self aware.

1 Like

Again, appreciate that.

Whatever come up with needs to be practical but also offer assurance/reporting upwards. For MVP, we are massively limited by what Ultilearn can and cannot do so we may release this functionality in phases.

1 Like

This is indeed an interesting point. As section OC I’m able to add whatever I want to my SMS record, but unable to add any qualifications to my Westminster record.