Lyneham query....open or closed?

I understood that (sadly) RAF Lyneham was originally scheduled to close at the end of this year (and the station website used to say that too) .

Is that not now the case?

Does anyone have an insight as to what the current second paragraph actually now means??:

[url=http://www.raf.mod.uk/raflyneham/][quote=“http://www.raf.mod.uk/raflyneham/”]From March 1943, RAF Lyneham was the home of the United Kingdom’s military air transport operations and from 1967 until 2011, the home of the Hercules tactical transport aircraft. As part of the rationalisation of the Defence Estate and in advance of the Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR), the decision to close RAF Lyneham was announced in July 2003, with its final closure as an RAF Unit originally scheduled for 31 December 2012.

[size=4]In July 2011, after the Ministry of Defence reviewed its basing and estate requirements, and in informed by the findings of the SDSR, the Secretary of State announced that the Defence Technical Training Change Programme (DTTCP) will make further use of RAF Lyneham.[/size][/quote][/url]

wilf_san

It’s turning into a training college as described. Arborfield and Bordon to be first in.

Could we be seeing the beginnings of MOD Lyneham…?

Right, thanks, is that what the DTTCP means? Army Tech Education?

I wonder if that’ll also mean that the runways will be maintained as an MOD asset, as Rockape3’s hinting at?

What was the original plan for Lyneham on closure? Was it to be sold to civvie operators/mothballed/converted into housing? I’ve not heard/read anything about it recently at all.

wilf_san

what i have heard in the local General Aviation circles is the airfield is still open and will remain so.

from what i have heard there are still Lyneham personnel since closing posted to Brize still living at Lyneham as Brize accomodation was filled up, as was Fairford!

A similar situation to what we had at Wittering/Cottesmore a few years back (before the harrier went). I doubt the RAF will keep sitting on an airfield with nothing there, no doubt it will suffer a similar fate to the majority of inactive airfields, and fall under MOD control. If this is the case, then I wouldn’t expect it for years yet, it seems to take the MOD ages to get the ball rolling on anything.

is it not the diverson for Brize and Boscombe?

Pass, wouldn’t surprise me though, the RAF seem to enjoy paying Air Traffic Controllers and Firemen to sit round doing nothing. Then be unable to afford ammunition for exercises… :silly:

No it is not. The tower is shut. Only gliders or rotary on exercise allowed.

What was the original plan for Lyneham on closure? [/quote]

No plan per se, the plan was always to hand it back to Defence from Air and decide if it had any future uses.

A similar situation to what we had at Wittering/Cottesmore a few years back (before the harrier went). I doubt the RAF will keep sitting on an airfield with nothing there, no doubt it will suffer a similar fate to the majority of inactive airfields, and fall under MOD control. If this is the case, then I wouldn’t expect it for years yet, it seems to take the MOD ages to get the ball rolling on anything.[/quote]

All establishments are MOD controlled, some have RAF units operating from them, some Army and some Navy. In the same way RAF Cottesmore disappeared in March this year, Kendrew Barracks grew out of it’s ashes from April. The same will happen with Lyneham. Anyway, I think if you dig a bit deeper, Lyneham was always pencilled to go that way, well those were the thoughts within the MOD.

I believe that the original plan was to bring one of the Royal Marine Units into Lyneham, when they first muted closing it.

A to personnel living in Quarters at Lyneham it as long been the Policy of the Housing people to utilise all available empty quarters wherever possible, especialy as Brize Norton was already pretty busy before the Lyneham gang moved over there

All details for proposed development can be found on the Goverment website.

Lyneham will be completely redeveloped, including the removal of runways.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/development-plans-for-the-lyneham-site-consultation

With all the debate over needing more airports, this has to be a no brainer. Here’s one ready made and locals used to aircraft. IIRC they did this with Finningley. Maybe this is too simple for politicians keen on generating expenses, OTT lunches and other meals, over years of pointless debates, inquiries et al all at the taxpayers expense. It’s going to be far too simple for senior militry types as it doesn’t mean spending millions then shutting a place down.
I firmly believe that you use smaller fields for short haul, holiday and feeder flights and keep the likes of Heathrow as a true hub for long haul and business.

MOD websites have said that training elements from the three services will be closed and transferred to the Lyneham site over the next few years, this includes current establishments at RAF Cosford. demolition and building work has already started at Lyneham to accommodate this and Cosford appears to be earmarked for the Army see the link below http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-16736798

The ensign was lowered today for the last time Lyneham is now closed as of today the last of the RAF left the station.

most brize deversions end up in Birmingham anyway!

Not quite all. May not be an RAF Station but still some RAF present.

Swindon Airport…

Massive missed opportunity if not; 209,000 people live in Swindon and many more in the surrounding area. Close to M4 (admittedly needs a new access road, Royal Wootton Bassett won’t be amused otherwise!)

T

From Swindon is a simple trip to LHR and Bristol. They seriously don’t need their own airport :slight_smile: