Lord lieutenant's cadet queries

What is lord lieutenant’s cadet?
How do you become lord lieutenant’s cadet?
Are there any specific requirements for lord lieutenant’s cadet?

The Lord Lieutenant is the Queen’s representative in a particular county. I was one of a number of cadets (I think there were 8 across all the cadet forces) who took turns in accompanying him on his official visits - holding his hat and his glasses for example - back in the mid 90s and I seem to recall I was interviewed for it.

I’m almost certain you have to be at least 16 and a Sergeant to be eligible for Lord’s Lieutenant Cadet.

Have your OC inform your Wing that you’d like to be considered. It’s a Wing nomination for the best of the best!

Each (ceremonial) county will have its own rules - it’s administered by SERFCA - and each cadet organisation will then have its own rules on selection. Ask. Most ATC LLCs I come across are 18+; ACF and CCF will of course be younger.

1 Like

Do we know why that is the case?

And if the Alternative Cadet Force are (really?) bringing-in the concept of post-18 Staff Cadets in an ATC style, surely they then will need to raise their age entry-point for appointments to LLC?

Otherwise there’s going to end-up being an unfairly-long tenure opportunity for a small(er) number of Army Cadets (presumably within just their cohort, but there is a point regarding tri-Svce equality of opportunity)

I would imagine that units are likely to pick the proven, experienced cadets to be LLC and this is going to tend to the upper age range that can do a year in post. We also prefer to select cadets who are self-transportable as it makes their attendance at events logistically simpler.

So, ages 17-18ish fits well.

1 Like

this - certainly true in my experience.

Yes, that’s often a headache for CCF LLCs.

Why? LL Cadet appointments are for one year.

Do you know where I could find the SERFCA regulations for my region?

You need to find your local RFCA (sorry, typo on my part, ours is SERFCA or SE RFCA). Try googling ‘RFCA’ and see what you find.

Thanks!

Am I reading that some are saying ATC LLCs need to be over 18? Because this isn’t something I’m aware of and can say for sure that I’ve known 17y.o. LLCs at least.

No, just that they usually are; given the seniority and ability to get themselves around.

1 Like

I thought they could be (and were) extended?

I have never ever seen it happen myself, but I imagine it happening if there were no applications from potential replacements.

If there are no applications then that is really the fault of the cadet units in the area not putting any in. If an extension is given when there are potential replacements available, that is the fault of whoever it is that decides who gets the position, and it is very unfair. You get a year at the job and then you should let someone else have a go.

3 Likes

Can’t be the same in all counties, as apparently the CCF doesn’t exist in yours.

It is not.

That surely needs updating as it still references staff cadet