Lord lieutenant's cadet queries

Age isn’t an indication of seniority :wink:

OUR COUNTY - ELIGIBILITY

1. The following cadet units are eligible and Commanders/Commandants are asked to nominate one candidate from their unit, noting that the nominee must be from a sub unit within the county boundaries:

a. CCFs. Schools within the county.

b. SCC. Including RM detachments. Selected from units located within the County boundary.

c. County ACF. Selected from detachments within the County boundary.

d. ATC Wing. Selected from squadrons located within the County boundary.

1. The nominated cadet should be between 16 and 18 years of age, and have sufficient residual service to remain in post as a Lord Lieutenant’s cadet for at least one calendar year from the date of appointment

2. Given the high profile of this position, the cadet must be of high quality, confident, polite and smartly turned out with excellent bearing and good interpersonal skills.

Although in practice CCFs sometimes select a cadet going into the upper sixth and extend service to cover until the handover in October (in our case). Not sure how ACF handle it.

We just pick a cadet under 17.

Does this cause any issues with them being younger? I guess only the ATC one is really much older.

No, why would it? 16 is a normal start age for Lord Lieutenant’s cadet round here.

Agreed but all the ATC ones I meet are at university…

I did it the year I left school and was on a year in industry. Being able to drive was useful as I had to get deep into the countryside for the start of the duty.

There were 8 cadets the year I did it - 4 ACF and two each from ATC / SCC

I know of a few that have 2 of each, or an equivalent number, others that have 1 of each.

I wonder if it’s preference, geography, volume of applications, overall cadet numbers, or schedule driven…