Lgbt

you treat them as the gender they identify as
Speak to the Aspire team or Wing/Rgn LGBT+ rep - they should be well versed in a good example
(I have heard “Sam’s” Story who changed their identified gender which was shared at an Aspire meeting and has been cascaded down)

1 Like

When we go swimming the boys go to the male changing rooms and the girls to the female ones.

You may let your children sleep with their partners in your house, but looking after other peoples’ children is different. That is irrelevant to the discussion I think.

1 Like

You must have an old swimming pool. Even the old ones in our area have gone over to mixed changing, with cubicles and have been like this for 10 years at least.

Not really irrelevant, as you suggest needing parental consent for mixed sleeping arrangements and I was intimating that this is what happens anyway. But I do think the intimation that if you had mixed sleeping the cadets would be “at it”, just shows how little the cadets can be trusted. It’s a bit like ACP4s view that the only safeguarding issue in the world, is cadets having intimate relations with each other and staff having intimate relations with cadets.

@WO-ATC I suggest you have a read of ACP 20 PI 104, I’ve included a couple of extracts below;

Guys. This is about a haircut. Keep on topic.

pEp, I hear what your are saying but gender identity is at the crux of this issue. That the rules for hair is not a gender neutral issue. It illustrates how a simple issue can get very complicated for the volunteer and how the CoC can have a very blinkered view of what the volunteer has to cope with on a parade night of weekend issue.

1 Like

The young trans person’s PARENTS are the first who should be consulted about sleeping arrangements.

Can we really just worry about the Cadet’s wishes when the parent might be dead against it or have different views?

No, the trans person first. They know what they are comfortable with and what they need. Then the parents should be alerted as to said young persons wishes, to find out any reasonable objections.

1 Like

We had a massive thread not that long ago that went into the wider trans dilemma.

This is just about a haircut and not directly related to questions of gender identity. I don’t recall anybody saying that the gent in question wishes to identify as female, so this is indeed off-topic.

1 Like

Yep.

What if the views are opposed? I’m not going to go against the wishes of the person who is actually affected, and if they agree then what is the problem?

Split?

Indeed, my split ends are terrible.

And if a non trans (or a trans one for that matter ((although I’m not sure they are actually trans until they have made changes to themselves? Are they just potential trans? )) wanted to go on a shooting camp but the parents didn’t want them to go for whatever reason, you would take the Cadet’s wishes first, and only not let them attend if the parents had ‘reasonable objections’?

I wonder how many trans (or potential trans) cadets we have in the Corps?

That’s a bit of a nonsense argument.

If a parent tells you they don’t want little Johnny sharing a room with an Asian cadet, do you abide by those wishes?

If a parent tells you they don’t like homosexuals, and under no circumstances must little Jane share with a lesbian, do you abide by those wishes?

If anyone answers yes, then they really should consider hanging up their spurs.

Once parental consent to attend is obtained, we must try and do our best to fulfill the needs of our charges. If a cadet identifies as female, then they must be treated as a female - albeit one who may still have male genitalia. They will be the best person to advise you of their needs, or what they feel comfortable with.

It’s really not that hard to understand, is it?

5 Likes

Indeed, and the “not going on camp at all” argument is rather a strawman - clearly they’re not going if the parents don’t want them to, as we require specific parental consent to attend camps.

I wasj ust a little surprised that the child’s wishes take priority over the parent’s.

may i suggest person get familiar with “Sam’s story”?

sod it i am going to.

people - there is a live, active and very real case in the RAFAC TODAY they are open and honest about their transition. Speak to your Wg or Rgn LGBT+ representative for the slides on “Sam’s Story”.

we heard it recently at Wing and indicates a shining light on the RAFAC approach to transgender Cadets.

in that example everyone bar the parents were happy with the share 20 man room environment except the parents on a camp they insisted on a seperate room. Fortunately this was an option and so the FTM Cadet was placed in a single room.

It was quite an eye opener and interesting case study when I heard it at Wing too

A transgender person is classed as transgender. There isnt a different term for a transgender person who hasn’t had gender reassignment proceedures.

The meaning if the term Transgender is denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex.

1 Like