Leak of ACP 15 to the press

Whilst I couldn’t find any laws on outing someone as LGBT+ I still think it is immoral to do so, especially in the case where you don’t understand their situation. The only thing that it might possibly be is a hate crime, however I doubt much would be done.

Being trans is not a “medical issue” unless they are self-medicating (which is often the only option trans people are left with as waiting times can often be years, and even if you wait years the process is very degrading and sometimes doesn’t go ahead at all!).

It still is extremely uncommon amongst young people to self-medicate, especially if their parents are overbearing and against their identity.

I see no reason to out a child to their parents, it should be solely the child’s decision. As a member of staff where you only see them a few hours a week - you don’t know what their parents might think or do to that child if they were to be outed.

Honestly dont know how you can say its not a medical issue.

The trans community recommends puberty blockers at the first sign of symptoms. iI requires potential immediate psychiatric, medication and surgical intervention.

You even state in your own message the high self medicating risk potential.

How is it not a medical issue.

Also minus specific safeguarding concerns, any under 18 person is the responsibility of their parent or guardian and as such have a right to know just as much as any other medical issue with their child

1 Like

I belive medical age of consent is 16, is it not?

1 Like

I’m not here to debate the effects of hormone blockers though GIDS advises the physical effects are reversible - though psychological effects aren’t well known. The standard do your own research applies.

This to me seems like a bit of a straw-man argument or at least blown out of proportion. You yourself, as an individual, cannot speak for the entire trans community whether you’re trans or not, nor can I, nor can anyone.

How does being trans require “immediate psychiatric, medication, and surgical intervention”?

As pointed out the medical age of consent is 16.

I won’t dismiss the fact that it very well could be as with any medication, however if the child is healthy why would you potentially expose them to abuse?

If they are experiencing gender dysphoria then they are not healthy and with the much higher risk of suicide in the community they need professional review asap just as with depression etc.

Ok 16 my point still stands.

Whether or not you consider me “speaking for the trans community” it is the general consensus of said community to have medical intervention asap for diagnosis , PB’s and treatment.

Id say the safeguarding risk outweighs.the risk of abuse in general but its a case by cases basis if there are any particular safeguarding concerns

Honestly when did we start assuming parents were abusive by default

To which you might contribute by outing them when they aren’t ready. I’m not saying every parent is abusive by default, however if a person is still in the closet to their parents there is probably a good reason.

Even if their parents aren’t abusive (the vast vast majority aren’t!) they might make comments that hurt and could ultimately drive someone to suicide. This is why it’s important to take a sensible and careful approach.

I agree that it is a very case by case thing, I think it’s sensible to have a chat with the cadet first (as long as they’re comfortable to) to see where things stand before outing them to their parents.

You have to be weary that cadets is a safe space for many cadets.

It stands under very specific circumstances sure. Conversation is needed to see if that is genuinely necessary.

As far as I’ve interpreted you’re saying that any cadet that is trans should have their parents notified as it’s a “medical issue”. If that isn’t the case then pray tell, pointless argument will lead us nowhere.

You understand that part of that risk is mismanagement and poor support, outings, and other issues from 3rd parties right? If we or a teacher got this wrong we could be increasing this risk.

2 Likes

It isn’t if they are termed ‘Gillick competent’

3 Likes

Actually one of the problems with puberty blockers is that no long term research has been undertaken on the lasting effects of puberty blockers. The Tavistock is being closed down and one of the reasons is that no long term studies have been undertaken about the drug side effects and if they are indeed reversible.

Plus the patients there were looking at the recent investigation into the Tavistock noted that children in particular were not properly assessed for any other condition such as autism or whether they actually repressing their homosexuality. This clinic had an affirmative approach to patients rather than an investigative one and wobetide any staff member who went against this stance, they who pushed back against affirmation were targeted by management and people like Mermaids.

3 Likes

There are many effects we are unsure of, for example if puberty blockers have an effect on bone growth. These things should be pointed out to patients and they should make sure they understand the potential effects - as with every treatment, the side effects of puberty blockers seem relatively tame compared to some other medicines I’ve seen! (Notably the pages of side effects from birth control)

There are issues that need resolving but in general we aren’t responsible for advising on a cadets medical issues (their GPs are), and we certainly don’t want to mismanage a situation and potentially put a cadet at risk.

Read the ABPI manual, every drug has potential side effects listed from nothing to death therefore the prescription of drugs is a risk/benefit decision. The contraceptive pill does have side effects but the numbers at risk are relatively minor compared to the number prescribed each year. These drugs have been well tested for the original conditions they have been licensed and prescribed for but puberty blockers have been prescribed ‘off licence’ therefore the manufacturer has no liability for its use outside the conditions for what the drug is tested and made for. This leaves the liability with the prescribing doctor and their employer.

1 Like

Some very interesting insight, not sure where to find said manual though. Puberty blockers seem to be a good temporary way to limit the negative effects of dysphoria someone is experiencing, it would surely be up to the individual on whether they push for the medication despite the risk?

Either way, it isn’t really our responsibility (unless you’re a CFAV and the GP of said cadet). Leave it up to the professionals and individuals themselves I say. If it starts actually causing issues within cadets then that’s where conversation should happen.

The British National Formulary (BNF) will give the same information regarding drug usage.

If no trials or long term studies have been undertaken how can you assess risk, answer is you can’t in this situation.

1 Like

So no support vs the possibility of poor support?

Straw man much?

There are so many point I could quote and it’s too many to bother so I’m just going to sum up the points below:

Firstly the effects of puberty blockers chemically and physiologically have not monitored long term this is true. However the effect of decrease in dysphoria among trans people have been documented that is why they are prescribed. Also current protocol means any known side effects should be explained to the patient when prescribed to them, so they agree to risk like any other medication.

Secondly, any medical points can be looked at two ways. If under 16 then parents permission is needed for anything anyway and if over 16 then any medical info is personal and private information that should not be shared without explicit permission of the person. It is the same as telling someone about a serious illness without their permission. For example if someone had cancer and asked you to not tell anyone and you did we can agree that wrong.

As for the positive assumption at the clinics almost assuming someone is Trans is because of all the surveys and tests done before arrival. Most people have been fully out for almost a year before even getting an appointment if lucky, multiple years if not. The waiting time is long enough for everyone trying to use the service at this point and if they are denied service they will just self medicate (And at this point they will have most likely aged out of cadets while waiting anyway and will be a CFAV if still in). This is aimed to reduce potentially dangerous self medication and requires living a full year permanently as their gender in the UK before being prescribed anything other than blockers. I have seen a few stories where people have moved to the UK and had to buy their medication for their year after legally emigrating to the UK because of the tracking required by the NHS system.

1 Like

Aren’t they eligible for a “bridging prescription” if they move to the UK after being medicated elsewhere?

I am not aware of the specifics of the story but in the cases I saw they were not offered it. I don’t know why but they had to find other sources for it for the first year.

1 Like

Ah, might be that it’s only offered if you ask

1 Like