Leadership task alternatives for a Covid Age

Anyone got any good socially distanced or otherwise safe to undertake leadership tasks suitable for blue or bronze leadership?

Doesn’t the Risk Assessment specifically states we can only use MTA equipment?

1 Like

Make your own RA, or edit theirs.

2 Likes

Which is useless if you don’t have any.

I’m thinking equipment less, where communication is key.

We’ve used various planning tasks that encourage communication. E.g. each team member gets a slightly different set of information (in separate written briefs that they can’t show each other) and they have to discuss and share knowledge e.g. helicopter grounded in desert, minimum fuel, enemy forces inbound and the team have 2 pilots, an engineer and a couple of soldiers. Discuss…

1 Like

For something practical a building task where they approach one at a time might work. The distancing could be an extra limitation.
Individual lego sets could work. Jenga, where they use a pen to push bricks out.
Memory challenges like a Kim’s game.
At work we practice sanitising the person as we can’t sanitise the equipment.
Like previous posters the planning tasks are good. It’s just the time taken to find them!
If you’ve got a reasonable amount of time get the cadets to come up with some scenarios so they are doing some planning for you.

1 Like

The cynic in me wonders if that’s why they were giving a couple of kits away. Perhaps their sales have increased recently?

2 Likes

Imagine what else a Sqn could buy for ÂŁ900

1 Like

A load of number ones and sashes to keep the WWO busy?

9 Likes

Is there a decent armed forces recruitment test practice book which may hold a few?

Enough wood and a lathe to make your own wooden version?

Or a 3d printing machine for ditto.

Actually…3d printer, not a bad shout.
Might actually get some shooting that way…
:thinking::smiling_imp:

1 Like

Surprisingly cheap and relatively simple to learn how to use for anyone who isn’t massively thick! Not quite great for covid-age command tasks, but a good STEM project for the squadron if you have someone who is interested to learn a bit about it.

I actually did quite a good “leadership” challenge at work. I’ll see if I can dig it out. It was information based so no contact needed, I’m just trying to find the details of it.

1 Like

I’ve ordered a book of planning exercises for inspiration, to be honest, it will probably make more sense in the long term to shift to exercises which don’t require loads of kit, because they’re just easier to run on squadron. The ones on the Cadet Training Portal are ok, but they all expect that I just have a pile of barrels and planks lying around.

3 Likes

I hadn’t even thought that would exist. Would you mind sharing a link?

PLANNING EXERCISES for the Armed Forces: Sample planning exercises for the Army Officer AOSB, RAF Officer OASC and the Royal Navy Officer AIB: 1 Testing Series: Amazon.co.uk: Mcmunn, Richard: Books

2 Likes

If you were feeling cheap, the ‘look inside’ bit seems to give a complete example scenario…

Have a watch of the current Taskmaster on channel 4. Mostly all recorded during the pandemic, Ive had loads of great ideas from that show.

4 Likes

We’ve previously put someone in charge of planning a parade night (2 activities). Kills 2 birds with one stone

2 Likes

This is actually a genius idea! Not thought about trying that.