Latest "pause" - BTEC in Aviation Studies

Calm down and heed your expectations

The way you are carrying on you’d thinking Training was the middle name of the Air Training Corps*

*im fully aware this situation also applies to the CCF but for the sake of the humorous point being made ATC is used

5 Likes

It seems like this BTEC is a Level 2 certificate (3 GCSE’s) while the over BTEC (Aviation and TPDiC) were Diplomas (Not sure if Aerospace will be) Which are worth 4 GCSE’s. This does mean that a cadet that get 9 GCSE’s and all the Cadet BTEC will have qualification worth 20 GCSE’s which will look amazing on Uni applications. Does make me wonder why they didn’t up the workload for silver slightly to make it a diploma though.

I think it’s a lot more complex these days regarding UCAS points equivalent & only BTECs with the extended certificate seem to count for UCAS points.

Even ignoring UCAS points you can put them on and it looks good. Most people aim for UCAS points from A-level/Highers/BTEC level 3’s and having extra BTEC shows a well rounded individual but I suppose at that point the difference between a diploma and certificate isn’t much. A way to stand out more than an a way to get extra points

Just for a fact check:

• BTEC Aviation Studies, TPDiC & Music are level 2 qualifications - the equivalent of GCSEs (the Certificate/Award/Diploma element dictates the number of GCSEs worth).

• For UCAS points, you need to be looking at BTEC Level 3 qualifications (Extended Diplomas, Nationals (in old money), T Levels, A levels etc - or any of the other qualifications listed on the handy UCAS tariff calculator - UCAS Tariff Points - Calculate Your Entry Requirements

I’m not going to argue that having a suite of BTECs from an extra-curricular activity doesn’t look good on UCAS applications, but they don’t necessarily tip the balance if in doing so you are sacrificing time invested in level 3 qualifications. If a university wants you to have an A in A level physics, but you only get a B, the words “yeah - but check out my 20 GCSEs worth of BTEC level 2s from cadets” are not going to cut the mustard with a Uni Admissions tutor.

I appreciate, the BTECs and the additionality they bring - offering a greater breadth and depth of experience and an additional layer of knowledge. It brings another layer to an application which shows a person capable of not just studying Level 3, but simultaneously studying additional Level 2 qualifications in their spare time. If it wasn’t understood that you HAVE to do it as part of classification training, then it would also demonstrate an additional commitment to learning. BUT, it’s not the deeper level of knowledge and understanding of a Level 3 qualification (hence it not accruing UCAS points)

I think the advantage that the BTECs bring are, however, marginal. It forms a talking point at interview; “That’s an unusual qualification to have - tell me about that”. BUT, the employers are often far more interested in my broader cadet experiences than how many GCSEs (or GCSE equivalents) they have. I see this in my cadets today - they become far more animated and confident talking about memorable experiences that the Cadet Forces have given them; expeditions, shooting at Bisley, leading a group, attending a camp. I cannot remember EVER hearing one of them say “remember that time we studied piston engines?” (although I can remember them actively slating Ultilearn and the quality of some of the training materials!!!).

The BTEC is a bonus which happens to marry up nicely with our classification training and forms an added extra. It helps sell us to parents, some schools, sponsors and some employers. But, in all honesty, we could probably get by without it.

9 Likes

I completely agree with you. I apologise if I made it seem like they give you points. They are the sort of thing that can help set you apart from another applicant with the same grades not a substitute for Level 3 grades. They are part of the paper trail non RAFAC personnel can understand that shows the RAFAC experience. They are not the most fun part of cadets nor what they get most animated about but they do show it off outside of interview that can allow them to easily talk about then.

1 Like

I had a cadet who applied for an engineering apprenticeship with Austin-Martin

Went for an interview with their CEO all prepped with qualifications etc. when asked to talked about himself he mentioned the cadets & Bisley.

The CEO then started asking questions re bisley as it turned out he was a keen clay shooter.

Entire interview was then bout target shooting & not anything to do with the actual work. My cadet got the job.

9 Likes

Exactly this for us. We have driven our grandson to Air Cadets for around 4 years now - this is twice a week and means there/back, there/back on both nights of the week as we drop him off and pick him up. Each one way trip is 6.1 miles so this means 4 journeys and 24.4 miles per week for 4 years! He took his Master Air Cadet Qualification 6 months ago but as he only left a week between the senior and master classifications, staff said he had to do it under exam conditions and wait 6 months. He was then not allowed to do it until 2 weeks ago. He passed and put the BTEC on his CV but was told last night he won’t get this BTEC. To be honest, I feel a bit cheated as this was really sold to us when we went to look at the squadron and committed our time to taking him to cadets. Is there anything we or he can do about this? A fellow cadet who’s dad is on the committee took hers a month ago and got her BTEC :thinking:

Unfortunately the squadron staff have no power over it so I don’t think there’s any favouritism with the committee member’s daughter, just unfortunate coincidence on timings. HQ pulled the rug out from under all of us with no warning whatsoever.

If I were you I’d be writing to the Commandant demanding an apology and an explanation for the sudden decision with no warning to cadets who have been working hard. You may also want to ask your MP to raise it with the minister at MOD with responsibility for cadets.

10 Likes

So much this.

It’s as frustrating for staff that this has happened, particularly given the new one is nowhere to be seen.

Please do write to your OC to pass on up the chain (remembering that it isn’t the OC’s fault either).

2 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t bother with the chain of command. Whilst your OC may pass it up, it will get “lost” on the way through wing and region. As a grandparent you are not part of the chain of command so I say go straight to the top. He’s the only one with any power to resolve it and needs to know how parents feel rather than it being filtered before it gets to him.

7 Likes

@chianti there is a proper external complaints process which might be better here given there is nothing that the OC can really do.

I believe details of this are on our homepage, www.bader.mod.uk

The complaint link within the “i’m a parent” section is a broken link that leads to a 404

Typical

2 Likes

Wow… :man_facepalming:

Here is the complaints form: https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/raf-aircadets/assets/File/EXTERNAL%20COMPLAINTS%20PROCESS%20.docx

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your responses and I am going to send a complaint. Can anyone please confirm if this is the correct procedure:

As by the time he took it 6 months later (2 weeks ago) they had stopped doing it! I can’t understand why they did not give squadrons notice of this so that the kids could get their BTEC qualifications they had been led to believe they would get.

I’m neither a training nor a BTEC officer, so I may well be shouted down, but that doesn’t sound like any process we follow.

I haven’t got the policy in front of me, but as far as I know there isn’t a minimum required period, only an expectation/guideline based around the theoretical time it can take when worked into a training programme with a realistic/generous allowance for fitting in the amount of study required - but we’re obviously dealing with someone who has gone above and beyond in their self study.

Anyone got time to look?

Personally I’d have put in for it but if I wanted to knowledge check to assure the study happened and information is somewhat retained before handing out (considering it’s sent to the unit) there’d be nothing stopping me. However I’m also hearing anecdotally that they stopped awarding even prior to the notification because even those in the backlog are allegedly not getting it.

I’ve got an idea that this was the policy from 4-5 years ago when you couldn’t do master cadet before age 16.

As such I suspect it’s a case of volunteers following old policy that has then lead to confusion.

2 Likes

Is this yet another RAFAC ‘cluster’?

2 Likes