Lack of Wedgwood Shirts - where to claim costs of private purchase

So I have a new SNCO on my team who is due for initial kitting next week. He’s already been told there are no wedgwood shirts in the system so won’t be issued them.

He’s gone and bought a couple from cadet direct, but he’s asked me if the organisation will recompense him for them as they won’t provide them themselves.

Obviously I know the sqn civcom could but I’m also not sure that’s the right answer.

Has anyone got any experience of this?

Not in an ACO context, but in an MOD context, yes.

When we went to Afghanistan in 2002 there simply weren’t enough windproof smocks available through the MOD supply system to cover the unit needs, so we arranged a very speedy purchase with Arktis - Gucci windproofs for us in less than a week, and the MOD compensated us (as individuals) for the purchase. I know some units did similar things with dessert boots.

I’m sure I could rustle up a couple of new shirts up with a quick email to squadrons in my wing. Seems a little short sighted just to go straight out and buy them?

May not be the answer your looking for, but that’s what my Wexo would say if I asked.

2 Likes

I’d put money on no reimbursement taking place.

6 Likes

That sounds like a small-scale UOR, a very different beast.

PS a dessert boot sounds delicious.

2 Likes

your Wing is doing better than ours!

we’re lucky if we have Cadet uniform to hand, let alone short sleeve Staff wedgewood shirts sitting on the shelf waiting for an inquiry email!

I may struggle with short sleeved, but i could certainly get my hands on long sleeved, which is more than adequate temporarily until stores had some short sleeves in.

I imagine the official line will be, wait. Which means CivComm, in practice. That’s how I’d handle it.

i don’t disagree, and in winter a valid suggestion - providing “temporarily” can be measured in weeks and months, not quarters!

1 Like

That’s optimistic considering the length of the temporary gliding pause

1 Like

my point exactly…

if it was known that short sleeve shirts would be available in February no one would mind. but “no stock” can be months and months before (new/renewed) contracts catch up

I got my initial kitting in May and was told I’d have shirts by end of August.

Still waiting.

Fortunately, I have arms that most monkeys would think are long, so was able to get the extra long sleeve fresh from stores, but no short sleeves.

although i am not indicating we should only have 1-2 shirts, by applying the “more the merrier” approach at kitting leaves the shelves bare and creates this situation we’re in now where there are no shirts left in stores

So you are blaming the MOD’s inability to manage stock control and supplier contracts on the 8 shirts I have in my wardrobe? :wink:

4 Likes

Amateur numbers :wink:

At what point does that kick in??? I’ve been in uniform for over a decade. I didnt get a full kit issue at the outset. Haven’t had anything free since, and have had to fork out for everything inbetween.

Maybe I’m just unlucky…

3 Likes

No your just honest, most staff order uniform in their size for Cadet Smith. (With the exception of the stuff Cadets aren’t scaled for.)

obviously, but i read the “add to the kitting” was going above and beyond kitting at the kitting desk…

pass - but they are NOT current RAF pattern, subtle differences, but they are not the same as what is available with an NSN
I know as i did buy some, ended up sending them back, would have been easier to go to my local Next, Debenhams/other if i wanted a light blue short sleeve shirt with epaulets

1 Like

I think I’m now at the point where all of my current shirts are cadet direct purchases. Been years since my initial kitting and last time I visited stores they didn’t have stock of shirts to issue. It’s a few hours drive away and not worth the day off work to try and get more. Subtle differences in the shirt but never met anyone who really cares about it :man_shrugging:

My shirts were looking a bit ‘tired’, so bought one from Cadet Direct - never again.

I’ve previously got replacement stuff down the Cdt Bloggs route - as I have a 6 foot 6 cadet on the unit, my dwarf 6 foot 3 request wasn’t a problem.
Nothing drastic - I think I’ve had one pair of trousers and a couple of shirts.
Most other stuff I buy.