L98 Training aid

No it’s a physical size/strength and technique issue - cadets of either gender can struggle

1 Like

As can some CFAV!

1 Like

the model should be Squadron Staff’s common sense - does Cpl English have the mental and physical capability to handle a semi automatic weapon.
I recognise not every Squadron will have someone with a weapons qualification who can make an accurate judgement but i would like to think that the Staff units do have are switched on enough to know that a certain Cadets don’t have the physicality to handle the weight or handling techniques of a L98A2.

When i have kicked Cadets off a IWT I do follow this up with an email to the Units OC with my reasons and a reminder of what their responsibility is.
it is the Staff’s responsibility to check Cadets going flying have no medical issues, sending a Cadet along who is on crutches is clearly only going to end one way - and clear the Staff who approved that Cadets attending is to blame.
the same is true for shooting. If someone isn’t capable but the Squadron Staff sent them anyway it isn’t the SAAIs fault for following procedure and disappointing the Cadets (yet it is them who has to deal with the tears which occur, and then gets the bad name that comes with it and yes I have experienced both) but the Squadron Staff for sending a Cadet who was doomed to be disappointed.

2 Likes

One deficiency of the system is Sqn staff are not told who has applied, so they have to be proactive in checking SMS.

That doesn’t in any way invalidate your point.

1 Like

but this did occur pre CP. i recognise that CFAVs are more removed than they were now we have CP, but this is not a new problem

It’s not new, that is true. But it’s probably worse.

I spend a fair bit of time removing ineligible cadets from activities. Unit OCs often get quite angry when little Jonny/Jane who is in year 8 and not yet enrolled is binned off a silver level course.

Someone who has never touched an L98 A2 can’t accurately assess that though because they don’t know the technique or force required.

That aside, there are piddly(er) cadets who can do it because they nail the technique, and beefy cadets who struggle because they don’t. Any subjective assessment without a rifle or suitable aid is potentially inaccurate anyway.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen on wg shoot days, even cadets (& occasionally staff) who are “experienced” on the L98 sometimes have issues. I think that potentially there can be a difference in spring strength between L98s that are always pushed out for trg all the time, versus live use wpns on the range. Even a “dry” L98 with little or no oil around the working parts seems more difficult to cock.

I’ve also watched (whilst waiting my turn) a cadet go through a “perfect” WHT for ability to cock the rifle, but then struggle on the range when I coached them.

Might also be a bit of self-imposed “time pressure” on the range - “must make ready quickly so I don’t hold up the detail.”

I can’t remember all the finer details (so long ago), but one of “my” baby DIOT students asked me about doing an idea for a project day (normally help out the community, paint walls in car homes, etc). I tsk’d tsk’d a couple of times & reminded the student of the expected protocols. Then they explained to me that their father was on the BAe Wpns Design team, responsible for the new service rifle & could bring some of them + ammo to a range…

Well, that was her graduation almost in the bank. :smiley: Suitable arrangements were made - no WHTs of course for me + student officers or the RAF Regt who ran the range. I asked her father about the background for design / machining of the cocking handle to be on the right. In short, no “design” issues to make it on the left (a la wonderful SLR :heart_eyes: ) but apparently as the then “SA80” was a bull-pup wpn, so shorter than the SLR, when having the rifle slung close to the body, a cocking handle could snag on the webbing = potential jam. Never mind the magazine button that did just that initially. :wink: So, that seemed to be the main justification for having the cocking handle on the right = no option to shoot left-handed (unlike the excellent Steyr AUG which can of course be fired left handed - with the relevant conversion bits & pieces - smooth as silk, very easy to strip / clean too + some better operating aspects / interchangability of barrels, etc).

Anyway, we fired 1000’s of rounds on the then SA80s, LSWs & bull-pup version (for APC drivers i think). Whilst these were the design prototypes, not mass-machined, we were all new to the systems - not a single stoppage all day! Quite remarkable.

1 Like

I don’t. It is largely down to the muscle development of the cadets. I’ve had large male cadets who spend their weekends on the PS5 not being able to cock the rifle, and small female cadets who play hockey at the weekend who have no real problems.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree.
But there are OCs who have never walked up.a mountain yet approve cadets going to Windermere or similar camps.

Common sense should prevail here. If the cadet is piddly…chances are they’ll struggle

Too much muscle (bulky upper body) can hinder with proper weapon drill in the prone position too. Somewhat like a like a bodybuilder trying to scratch his own back. Flexibility and adequate limb length and strength are needed.

Yeah… i have this issue… just not muscle related :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

I do, due to a major operation, I just don’t have the mobility/strength to cock the weapon consistently, therefore I stick to L144 and air rifle. I would like to train L144 and air rifle but can’t because I’m not competent on a L98…

Is that because there is no restricted SAAI qual (like there is a restricted Air Rifle RCO one, and used to be a smallbore RCO one as well)?

1 Like

Correct, there is talk of an AR only (as there is an AR RCO) or modular Qual but for now it is the full SAAI.

And there has been for at least 7 years when I did my Air Rifle Qual, it hasn’t appeared yet.

Quite. And words.

It really is a pathetic situation - someone needs please to extract their digit & look at the preferred options - L98 as one of them, AR + L144 + L81 as the other. Complex system versus simple, bolt action systems.

CFAVs should not be penalised because they don’'t want to be involved with L98 initially (or at all).

1 Like

One weekend on the AR (to prove candidate can instruct). Further weekend covering L98 / 144?

Course folder was submitted to SASC at the back end of 2022, still pending them to confirm it is viable.

Not sure who was talking about it back then but they weren’t doing the leg work, it’s now been done and is on the right desk.

Just got to hope they can see the benefit!

4 Likes