L98 Training aid

Over the weekend I was involved with L98 IWT’s & WHT’s. We had a number of cadets not able to pass the WHT due to not being able to cock the weapon effectively. The cadets chosen were aged 14:6+ so we thought that that upper body strength wouldn’t have been an issue.

What I would like to do is design a mechanism/training aid that would replicate the the action of cocking the rifle. My biggest stumbling block is knowing the force required to overcome the recoil spring and the length of travel.

I know this is a massive long shot, but would anyone know where i may be able to obtain this information?

2 Likes

I don’t know the answer but a similar thing that already exists are the devices they use (used to use?) At VGSs for testing cadets’ ability to pull the parachute rip cord. Ive failed in finding a pic/name for it but at 624 it was attached to the wall with a ripcord handle below it attached to a spring with a gauge for measuring the tension.

1 Like

Just put a pull meter/force gauge around a cocking handle and then pull it backwards using the tool. Someone will likely have one, just need to take it to a shoot or training session.

1 Like

Bring back sports to the training program #lift

1 Like

Not sure of the forces/distance. But could relatively easily be measured for a newton metre. Or even the likes of some luggage scales.

I would be interested in/happy to help with the design/manufacture of such a device. Sounds interesting! If I had the numbers (distance and force), I can already picture how to quite easily make something to replicate it!

In terms of checking if a cadet can do it, bear in mind that being able to pull a given weight won’t show if they can do it over the duration of a course or even a range day.

A single arm cable pull at the gym is probably the best training aid but that’s not something we could or should set up on a Sqn!

This

Just google spring scales, there are dial and digital, which I guess would record max force.

Maybe ask the plumbers in your local small arms, since they maintain the L98s they must test them and have access to the servicing manual.

This is what our VGS use.

Would second that being able to pull n kg vs being able to do it with 2/3 fingers while reaching over the rifle are two different things.

A trick recently taught to me though: have the cadet push forward on the pistol grip with the right hand at the same time as pulling back on the cocking handle with the left.

2 Likes

If they are unable to cock the weapon, are they able to safely handle and support the weapon?

4 Likes

What has become of kids these days…

1 Like

Too much time sitting on backside with gaming and social media, not enough exercise.

3 Likes

Respectfully the policy says Cadets must be both mentality and physically mature enough to handle the weapon.

If they cant cock it they can’t pass the WHT. I’ve spoken to Cadets who struggled on Day1 of IWT and strongly suggested that they’ll not gain anything from Day 2.

If they got to the WHT stage I’m surprised as that is 9 lessons worth of practise

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s so much the force required to cock the weapon. Issue is their little arms struggle to reach over to the weapon to move the cocking handle completely to the rear. It’s as though H&K didn’t give any consideration to small children when designing the weapon system :wink: In my experience, cadets (and some staff) who struggle to cock the weapons during IWT and subsequent WHT are much more likely to ND when live firing. They’re the ones that need close supervision. They get flustered during make ready, forgetting correct weapon drill…bang.

1 Like

If someone is struggling to cock the weapon they shouldn’t be on the range as they won’t have passed the WHT and imo shouldn’t have got to WHT stage to try and pass it…wasting everyone’s time

8 Likes

It doesn’t actually need a lot of force to pull back the charging handle. A lot of it is technique. Fine motor skills in applying the hold open catch is the bit that causes the most bother from what I’ve seen.

A drop of oil on the working parts is a great help too.

@Squirrel’s trick is a good one, I was taught something similar years ago by a PTI. Instead of trying to pull yourself up to the bar (for pull ups in this case) try to think you are pulling the bar down to you. I don’t know why it works but it does.

2 Likes

Correct.

Any SAAI passing a cadet who cannot cock the weapon, WHILST KEEPING IT POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION should have their ticket removed.

7 Likes

Why is everyone banging the point about cadets on the range, safe support, and the skilly who passed them, when the subject is checking ability before even getting to that point?

I tend to agree that it’s as much about technique and comfort than strength, but an accurate model could help. However, is it going to be available enough pre IWT to check people?

I’ve tended to see issues where the butt is removed from the shoulder and the added instability prevents a smooth action and increases required strength/coordination. Angle of the rifle, tilt of the body - it all plays a part.

Indeed, a lot of coaching and screening time time.

There’s an oddity in the L103s tend to be harder to cock than live L98 due to the springs on the former not being compressed by live fire.

Un-oiled parts is another factor so you might need to test sample a. Unverified weapons in order to get the average cocking force.

A least it’s not the old L98A1 as that was a right pain with the cocking handle.

2 Likes

I work with only male cadets, but do you find this is a gendered problem?
My daughter struggled with it initially but found a technique which works.
Also, it’s much easier standing than in the prone position… I appreciate that doesn’t help!