Kremlin sabre-ratlling and NATO news

There now seems to be agreement by all NATO members to accept Finland and Sweden into NATO.

So what is next?

The Chief of General Staff wrote to troops saying this is like 1937, leading an army who has to prepare for another european land war.

Could they, theoretically, reintroduce the old order** requiring certain members (the then-VRT) to report to parent stations for potential orders? Despite obviously creating the CFC, many were originally VRT.

**A Cold War order that was in AP1919 and removed in the late 90s/early 00s

Nope, VR(T) is gone. Dead and buried.

And let’s be honest, 99.9% of air cadet staff would be utterly useless to the RAF. And their parent stations are probably hours away.

We’ll get called up when conscription returns, not before.

6 Likes

If it came to the crunch I’d sooner volunteer ahead of conscription… I don’t want to be back of the queue with all the good jobs gone!

I’m rather good at making tea, so if I could please be assigned to the VIP nuclear bunker. I’ll stick the kettle on as soon as I get there.

9 Likes

Really, I have no been gazetted to show that I am no longer VRT…

4 Likes

Can you be gazetted to say you’re no longer something that doesn’t exist…?

Anyway, I suppose it has been a while since people on here had a moan about the CFC, so if you need your vent space, crack on.

2 Likes

No, utterly pointless.

How many current CFAV are even L98 trained? At best all the org could offer would be a few people who could guard some (less) critical infrastructure and a few who could teach some of the basic skills in a protracted conflict. Even then the ACF or RM CFAV would be better qualified.

If they asked for volunteers I doubt even then we’d be top of any list.

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong but the VR commission that I was award still is a thing for some in the RAF.

Some AEF people, yes.

It certainly still exists.

1 Like

VR exists, but not VR(T) iirc?

Given the mass hysteria and panic buying caused by covid 2 years ago, I feel our skills would be best served guarding the toilet rolls in Tesco. That, or do some form filling to release people to go and fight. Nobody fills in forms like RAFAC fills in forms.

15 Likes

The AEF bods are VR(T) still if memory serves.

CFC is a non-call up thing until a swipe of the pen means it isn’t - I could see CFC holders becoming admin, training, remf types.

Perhaps the new Dad’s (n’Mums, modern times y’know) Army :joy:

1 Like

I still query what use we’d be over new recruits, having been in RAF phase 1 training, I’m sorry to say that the vast majority of RAFAC CFAV are nowhere near that standard.
We’re not trained in RAF processes or practises, so we can’t do their admin or their training.

Nobody’s going to call us up for anything. We’re not special in the slightest.

5 Likes

Loo rolls would be a level of CNI above where I’d allow most CFAV to operate. We could guard the organic pasta maybe.

2 Likes

It was mainly tongue in cheek - but any one can lift and shift, hand out kit, typey typey etc.

3 Likes

You will find me posted in front of the Whiskey & Port.

Surely that’s one for special forces (or the CCF)?

4 Likes

I’m sitting happy knowing my ability in my day job will be far more use in a way effort than my ability to fight anywhere :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The was no mention or VR(T) on my commissioning scroll from QE2 in the ATC only VR.

Same here. I imagine that the Reserve Forces Appeal Tribunal would get rather busy before conscription is brought in as they’ll mobilise reservists first. And then would be even worse after.

From a PR perspective it might be easier to conscript CFAVs before the rest of the general population but lots of us would be of no combat use, even with training, so it would only be a matter of months before they’d have to extend it anyway so they probably wouldn’t bother with a distinction.

Itt: people get to live their cosplay fantasy of being in the RAF…

4 Likes