Kings Birthday Honours List 24

Also just to clarify, I’m not direct NHS as in a nurse etc. I was a Scientist working in the COVID Labs testing Track and Trace Samples :smile:

Are you suggesting the NHS wasn’t awarded a national award for gallantry for putting its people on the front line, which resulted in many of them dying, not least because they couldn’t all be given PPE?

Yeah prob the same arrangement for what they did for Malta in WW2

1 Like

And the RUC.

1 Like

There was a discussion around indicidual medallic recognition for the civid response, but it was decided not to award a medal. This new came out almost concurrently with the release of the new humanitarian medal.

Tobias Ellwood had suggested a long service medal for the NHS, the article was in the Telegraph in early 2023. Nothing more seen about that.

Biomedical Scientists were directly involved in the covid response. Not just doctors and nurses. Without laboratory staff hospitals don’t work and, of course, all of the other folk needed to do all of the other jobs.

1 Like

but on that basis, there would never ever be any awards for civilians who have no uniform whatsoever who therefore would equally “not wear it”

if a civilian volunteer working with the Parish Council, or a local donkey sanctuary gets an award for dedicated service for 10 years having turned around the fortune of their organisation/made a significant and notable impact then I suggest Doctors and Nurses are equally entitled to similar recognition - neither have a “ceremonial uniform” to wear a medal upon.

And if the Civil service, and armed forces officers get medals just for doing their job, then why not Drs and nurses too who sit at a similar level (A-E banding etc)

agree it was/is a nice touch, but it isn’t a routine medal offered on an annual basis to a deserving selection

My point was merely that the relative number of awards made to uniformed services is likely to be higher than to non-uniformed services due to an organisational culture of medallic recognition.

Ah right, yes I get you now.

that does make sense - it is a valid perception that a uniformed organisation is likely to see recognition in the form of a medal which is worn to be visible than otherwise

(which only highlights how poorly recognised CFAVs must be if we’re offered a RC or LL certificate of appreciation)

1 Like

I would suggest more now - while we had to drop our ‘reservists’ titles, they were granted RNR for the first time.

It would’ve made so much more sense for you to be granted honorary membership of the RAFVR in the same way they were the RNR / RMR.

Something along the lines of ‘Fg Off. (RAFAC) A.N. Other RAFVR’. It could’ve been extended to WOs and SNCOs at the same time.

We already were members of the RAFVR the (T) was just a branch within the RAFVR.

What would’ve made sense would’ve been not changing any of the identifiers, SCC Officers are the only ones who wear Wavy Navy these days and we were the only ones wearing VRT pins.

I do understand the desire to mark cadet forces staff out while reservists have gone the other way and have lost their identifiers.

It’s helpful to know, not least so people can temper expectations or offer support as required, which is essentially why reservists always used to be marked out.

1 Like

It’s also useful marketing to potential volunteers who may see us.

2 Likes

The number in the CS who receive any formal award recognising their service is in the teeny tinyest minority, and usually in the upper echelons who’re riding on the efforts of others.

1 Like

Already mentioned here; Should there be a Cadet Forces Meritorious Service Medal?

2 Likes

Should be a piece in the weekly brief about the honours system this week.

2 Likes

Its a great piece of comms. Proactive, Transparent and full of context. This should be the standard

9 Likes

I think Mark Leeming should be bestowed with the highest honour we can.

Namely we stand him a beer next time we’re in the mess with him.

6 Likes

Compare and contrast with the entry above it. “This activity is banned”.

4 Likes