Kings Birthday Honours List 24

Potatoes Potartoes,

You win the battles we can

I agree it’s transparent, and good context. Well written, and what we need more of. But it’s arguably the opposite of proactive. It took volunteers calling out a bad system to get any sort of response like this. That is by definition reactive.

I’ve manage volunteers in my day job for over a decade. One of the frustrating things is thing when you get a policy from up above which you know is a bad idea but it’s hard to argue against as you don’t have the evidence.

At the very least you need a bunch of volunteers kicking off so you can go to the the higher ups & go “see I told you it was a bad idea/we should have done it differently/etc”

1 Like

I mean in regards to providing clear future guidance/next steps to take

Positive that people can now get the BEM, but very odd that officers are not eligible. Given they’re the most likely to get them for running squadrons, I don’t think this is a great step forward.

2 Likes

I always understood everyone but officers were always eligible for the BEM doesn’t the H&A ACP say that and has for many years or am I misremembering? So this isn’t a Change?

I also can’t really understand why that is the case, given the change to CFC. It would surely be an all or none situation you’d think?

They still argue that officers are only appointable in the military division (which isn’t the case by wording of the warrant for the order). Which means that the BEM is not possible as it wasn’t reintroduced.

1 Like

They still pretend that the CFC is a military commission.

When it suits them

1 Like

Feels like some proper, org specific guidance would help, and a kick to WCOs to actually meet people and seek out nominees / encourage nominations.

1 Like