Kings Birthday Honours List 24

Going back to my previous, it would also be great encouragement to align it to certain standards.

You join the organisation and do the basic stuff (which is incredibly valuable in its own right), you eventually get a long service medal as a thank you. Very appropriate.

You take on significant extra responsibility such as unit command/WSO etc, which in many cases can more than double the time you give, you get a BEM. Good job done is necessary.

You command a wing and do a really good job, you get an MBE.

5 years in a role.

Food for thought.

2 Likes

There are already standards - we just add our own hoops

Everything you need to know about nominating someone for a UK honour | The Gazette.

The key bit think is that for us its not just relevant to have purely RAFAC opinion, the nomination needs to come from our side so local councillors, parents etc

Part of the issue could be the citations are written purely from RAFAC.

1 Like

That would make sense.

When you get the box that says “if other people are doing this, what makes Bloggs’ contribution noteworthy”, a purely RAFAC view will make the mistake of thinking squadron command (for example) isn’t extraordinary because lots of people in the organisation do it.

But of course, when viewed through a civilian lens and compared to everyone in the country, you’re already in the top X% just for turning up and giving so much of your time away on a regular basis.

6 Likes

A bit like the CVQO adult quals :roll_eyes: The higher up the food chain and experience, the higher the qual you work towards :man_shrugging:t2:

In all fairness, that isn’t any different to the regulars. I have less responsibility and management input than my FS so why should my award be the same?

But the rest of it I agree with, there should be more recognition.

1 Like

As things stand, most of that basic stuff is being done by CIs, who don’t even get the CFM. The barriers to getting into uniform, treating it like a massive additional commitment over what CIs are already doing, effectively elevates the CFM from being what you describe here to a tier 2 award for doing the extra stuff that requires going into uniform.

2 Likes

Very true.

From what I gather, the jump into uniform is massively overstated and harms uptake.

2 Likes

I wonder how the people in St John Ambulance do it, because while they do nominate their people for national honours (MBE, OBE etc), they also have their own order which is signed off by HM.

No less prestigious, but they control it, which has clear benefits, because they understand exactly what their people are achieving.

And they still have a long service medal. 10 or 12 years. Something like that.

3 Likes

The biggest problem here is culture (and it clearly goes all the way to the top).

If your wing kings and squadron commanders don’t get recognised regularly when they’re doing the hardest jobs, you’re not priming them to recognise anyone else, because they’ll view everything relatively.

If you have a squadron boss who has busted a nut for 5-10 years, been incredibly effective and transformed lives, but never awarded a BEM, what sort of impact do you think they’re going to be looking for before they put someone forward?

Walking on water, and then some!

That’s why none of your people get recognised.

8 Likes

Along the same track as what I was saying above:

What you said before though, about perspective - we’ve internalised and normalised what to a normal person is impressive.

…So we’ve set our own bar too high - and as you go on to say, if a Wing Commander didn’t get something, how are they going to view a citation where their first thought is “been there, done that, know 10 others with the same t shirt”?

3 Likes

Very true, in my my last wing I could easily name 6 Squadron Commanders and probably the same number of other staff who would meet the BEM criteria of:

But since there is no tradition of putting people forward it doesn’t happen. I put a CivCom chairman forward and zero support from Wing despite decades of service because “he’s already had a LL Commendation”.

1 Like

Maybe this is the real question that needs posing to the valued volunteer forum you have.

Quote the BEM criteria, then ask if the organisation would back an almost standard nomination form, with relevant details inserted, to recommend key roles for that award following the requisite years of service.

That’ll get you an interesting answer either way.

You’re already in the 1%. Don’t go making it harder.

1 Like

This fella didn’t miss out!

The Right Honorable Field Marshal Horatio Herbert Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener, KG, KP, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCMG, GCIE, PC

This years excuse - “Nobody got an award because we didn’t receive any nominations”.

Next years excuse - “Nobody got an award, because, after last years comments by the now departed Comdt, we received 9,190 nominations and we are still processing them!”

You know what to do people :wink:

3 Likes

You missed off “GCGI”

2 Likes

Could this be the same Daniel Wright who has also fired shots on VoV about using BGA approved gliding sites? :clap:

As long as RAFAC and the MOD keep saying commissioned volunteers can only get recognition in the Military Division of the Order Of the British Empire then the BEM is not available to them. It simply dosent exist as an eligible award.

This wouldn’t apply to all other volunteers but it is a blocker.

1 Like

Which is quite frankly ridiculous, it’s probably the most suitable award for most staff in the organisation.

2 Likes

St John’s Ambulance giving HQRAFAC a run for their money for not recognising volunteers sooner. 52 years and only just received an MBE!

1 Like

She’ll have almost certainly got the order though.

Edit to add:
She was made a Dame of the Order in 2012 so would likely have been recognised with lower levels before then, I just can’t be bothered to search further in the gazette. So she’s reached Grade 2 in one order (Grade one being very hard to get) and now starting on another order

4 Likes