Keeping Squadrons Going with Coronavirus (Technology)

The CIN@rafac.mod.uk username is not a login.

We’ve got got the Microsoft learning platform so we can keep everything under one roof and not have to start using other products

We’re trying to find a way round a potential GDPR / privacy issue with Microsoft Teams so Cadets can’t see each other’s addresses. Atm it asks for an email when they log on.
Open to other suggestions!

Zoom doesn’t show email addresses as far as I could see. I have another call later so will double check.

1 Like

Get each cadet to make a new email address, just for teams?

1 Like

Or… simply accept it is a closed environment where only other members of the Sqn will see their email addresses.

It’s a good idea but many may not be allowed to have an email address so that would be something the parents would have to set up. Ideally they could use their CIN number@hotmail.com

However. I am sure the bader / portal team have thought of this as part of the ongoing efforts to get remote teaching as an option.

I strongly reccomend everyone waits the 1 to 2 weeks it may take to get this up and running before establishing your own independent systems.
Dont waste time, effort and money on something which that will be unusable once the formal version is released.

One thing is for certain. HQAC wont want 900 different unsupervised, unregulated processes and systems in place.

2 Likes

Does anyone have the tools to make the 1st class PDF editable or a reliably converted .doc (I.e. Not just using an online converter)?

Or is there any way we could get it from HQAC @james_elliott?

1 Like

Assuming you mean the first class workbook, there is an editable version on sharepoint I believe, in the Training Officers area.

There is… Since August 2019…

Last version I knew of was just a raw PDF - was this something we were just expected to randomly discover?

Probably!

Absolutely. The plan is to roll out Teams. There might be some niche use cases where Teams doesn’t work. But for the most part it will.

It’s great that so many people are looking into this but a couple of weeks off will do us all good, catch up on admin, lesson plans or just chill for a bit.

I think we will be seeing Teams by the end of the week.

Cracking effort from the BADER Team they have jumped all over this, great to see

British-sign.co.uk have made their British Sign Language online course free for under-18s. 20 hour course with CPD certification at the end: https://www.british-sign.co.uk/coronavirus-crisis/?fbclid=IwAR0R6YS9WIXiLWpNH_LnWYGFxe4X8TOU6q9U2ynaCTccuFbWL7h18SFSkbM

8 Likes

As much as i applaud everyone’s efforts to try to keep something going…how effective are people expecting it to be?

I can imagine only those uber keen will be taking part in online quizzes, watching videos or webinars, and these are the Cadets who are most likely to return when we’re open again.

I am not saying it is wasted effort, but if we’re trying to engage with the Cadets remotely to avoid poor retention I am not convinced it is going to be successful at capturing the attention of the ones we’d lose anyway…:man_shrugging:

I have an email confirming that they are happy for us to include 18 and 19 year old cadets:

Thanks for your message.

Yes, no problem - please go ahead and place a group order using the under 18 option for as many as you need for your cadets.

Kind regards,

Simon Harvey
support@british-sign.co.uk

5 Likes

Thanks Niall,

Please just ignore the proof of ID.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Simon Harvey
support@british-sign.co.uk

Perhaps an email in advance to be polite would be in order for anyone else…

Let’s find out.

An IBN prohibiting all online training except via Bader has just been published…

To be fair, I broadly support that.

2 Likes

I do too. I’m glad they’ve given guidance as it is now something we can work from

2 Likes