Keeping Squadrons Going with Coronavirus (Technology)

Understood. An introduction to the software, platform or system can be arranged. If there is something you are not sure about, show a cadet to feel pride and show you how to do it.

Interesting, itā€™s disappeared. See the free access details above though. Thanks for pointing that out.

Google meet is pretty good - Iā€™m fairly sure thatā€™s free (my personal account is GSuite, so that might be behaving differently)?

1 Like

It would seem schools are planning to do learning from home, one of my mates has downloaded all of his lessons and other things so he can put things on the online system his school uses, so kids can do work.
But Iā€™m not sure it really fits with cadets, we are hobby not a statutory learning environment. If people want to thatā€™s up to them, but itā€™s not something Iā€™d even suggest or consider. Iā€™d treat a closure like being on holiday.
If a school closes on advice and itā€™s a feeder school and the kids didnā€™t come, would you ā€œsend workā€ home or expect them to do things? Similarly if theyā€™re off sick or on study leave.

I donā€™t think anyoneā€™s suggesting forcing cadets to sign in to any online learning we might do merely that we provide the opportunity if we have the capacity.

Iā€™m not convinced we have access to the right software to deliver digital learning properly unlike schools or universities but if someone can come up with something that works Iā€™d consider it at least.

Agreed that it is an option for them and not a mandatory. Itā€™s about continued opportunities for cadets rather than the potential for them to disengage during the time. It could be a useful time to focus on some aspects of classifications and for theory aspects of other training. Possibly freeing up other nights for the fun stuff that cadets enjoy.

If the technology isnā€™t provided by HQAC and Bader, there are free options out there that can be used.

If cadets invest their time and engagement, I think that if we didnā€™t continue to support them when the rest of their daily structure could disappear they may feel let down. After all, for most, parade nights form a stable part of their day and gives a framework for them. Listing both school and cadets could have a negative impact on them. Resulting in a negative impact for us down the line.

Just my thoughts.

4 Likes

Devils advocate and all that. Without the activities that we normally provide flying shooting adv trg FC etc should we be busting a gut to make sur that cadets are still interested? The only thing we can provide online is exams. The corps will have a lot of master cadets in September when the schools restart.

1 Like

The way things are going Iā€™m holding off actual planning for anything post April until I know whatā€™s actually going onā€¦
I know full well that I may need to play catch up at somepoint though

Not busting a gut, not making it mandatory, just giving them an option.

Turning up is optional, so should any ā€˜out of hoursā€™ activity.

1 Like

Is this compatible across all forms off IT/mobile fones etc??

Yep, works across all.

I am just dealing with some work stuff at the moment due to covid 19. As soon as it calms down Iā€™ll share everything.

Hi all,

Just to share what Iā€™ve put together for my squadron. I spent a fair few hours last night researching and testing and decided to use Google Classroom and Google Hangouts (detailed below).

I looked into Microsoft Teams, my only concern was GDPR as you can view other membersā€™ email addresses which is not compliant.

Itā€™s not perfect, but the following works.

A subject Instructor can log in to Google Classroom using a Google Account. They then create a class and share the class joiner code with relevant cadets.

Instructors can then go to Google Hangouts, create a hangout and get a shareable link. This can be posted on Google Classroom for the relevant class.

The instructor can then choose to share their screen to deliver the session or just use their webcam.

Instructors can also post updates on the class ā€œstreamā€ e.g. a schedule of sessions, links etc.

Weā€™ve put together a document containing instructions, Google Classroom joiner codes and COVID-19 updates and uploaded it under training programme - as cadets are more likely to view this than the downloads section!

Are you able to share?

Above are the setup instructions. If youā€™re referring to the document weā€™ve shared with cadets on CP, yes I can share that.

1 Like

Sorry the document yes. Thanks

For cadets: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Lo3LObACbmkHbKlawnkWXgYTQ7b8hoz_
For staff: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xgnW7rYZG4XjVsKD2qosj3PAJHMhBHl5

1 Like

That is awesome. Iā€™m just awaiting confirmation from wing that I can share our training Platform and if given Iā€™ll share an account for staff and cadets. It contains all of the sessions and resources, isnā€™t perfect but Iā€™m happy to develop it to make it better.

Iā€™ll let you know as soon as I hear back.

1 Like

Ok so I wonā€™t claim credit for this, it comes from someone better at tech than Iā€¦

Cadets can sign in with their initial Cadet Portal user name (which is their CIN@ etc etc)

AFAIK cadets canā€™t do anything to identify other cadets using a CIN as they donā€™t have the required levels to Bader or SMS.

@james_elliott would this work?

1 Like

Weā€™ve just had a Wing wide video conference call on Zoom which seemed to work well. Looking at how we can expand it to deliver training now.

This is probably linked to the fact that cadet portal is based on an office 365 app so needs an account on the system for each cadet. Giving them an email address for logging in to the platform.