Junior Leaders Course 17

The Calling notice and application form (fully electronic) is now available for Junior Leaders Course 17 on SharePoint.

Application is by email from Sqn OCs and must be received by the JL Adjutant no later than 1 Aug 15, the personal contribution is £250 this year, along with the £50 kit deposit.

Candidates must meet the following criteria:
a. Be at least 17 years of age on 4 Sep 15.
b. Hold the rank of Cadet Corporal or above.
c. Be competent in land navigation and map reading.
d. Be physically fit and sufficiently robust to complete this demanding course.
e. Have completed the ACP 16 syllabus of fieldcraft training.
f. Have successfully completed a Wing NCO Course or equivalent training.
g. Completed training and a Weapons Handling Test on the L98A2 Rifle. Applications will still be considered if a WHT has recently expired.

three hundred b&%£$y sheets??!!!

quite how i don’t really know - i have some ideas - but the ACO really needs to take a good hard look at the ethos thats developing. this is not ‘the cadet experience open to all’, this is properly exclusive pricing that a a good many (half?) the cadets parents couldn’t begin to spring for, and i imagine that a good many Sqn commanders, unless their CWC have deep and open pockets, wouldn’t even stick up on the board.

having to stump up £300 for a cadet course just isn’t acceptable for a non-commercial youth organisation.

The £50 is a returnable deposit. I understand that a good part of the sum is payment for the ILM qualification and admin.

My CWC paid for my course when I was a cadet, very grateful I was too!

Still cheaper than paying for the qualifications they gain on civvie street. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I bet that doesn’t include the traveling expenses…

All travel is at public expense, and against HQAC budget

The ILM charge quite high prices for their centre approval process and qualification registration fees. However, I run a training company and I can tell you now that the registration fee per learner (from the awarding body we use) for the Level 2 Certificate in Team Leading is only £43.00 and the Level 2 Diploma, £59.00. Even if JL’s have progressed on to the Level 3 awards (have they?) the charges don’t increase by much.

Both ILM and our awarding body offer the same qualifications - they’re on the Qualification Credit Framework (QCF) so I think the ACO are paying purely for the brand name. After all, ILM is a spin-off of City & Guilds.

That said, ILM have a decent reputation but when it comes down to cost to the cadets - and ultimately in a lot of cases, their families - then I feel that someone further up the CoC should be investigating the potential for better deals.

[quote=“Baldrick” post=25205]I understand that a good part of the sum is payment for the ILM qualification and admin.

[/quote]

But why not give them the choice of registering for ILM at the end of the course? In the same way that Officers passing through OiC get the choice. Besides, not everyone that starts JLs will finish, so surely this means they are ineligible for the award? It would also mean those that want to go for the experience but can’t afford the qualification, still get the chance to apply and be part of it.

As for admin, what administration costs need to be covered? In terms of actually doing admin, its run by volunteers in a primary post, none of the rest of us attract any form of reimbursement for the hours we spend doing admin. If it’s against the costs of paperwork, surely the HQAC TG budget foots the bill?

^^^ that is a good point.

we have had two Cadets go in the lats two years. they pay the deposit, CWC pays the rest.
travel is claimable.

as for the instructors they are CFAVs, they use defence estates, using kit which is issued via a armoury hatch…where is the cost?

At a guess, I’d say that quite a lot of the cash probably goes into whatever pot the transport claims are paid from.

That’ll be the flights from Inverness/Aberdeen/Belfast then… :whistle:

:popcorn:

Reduce the cost and eliminate the need to claim if all that would happen is claiming (disproportionately probably) back from what you and others have put in thr pot.
Staff will claim their allowance and travel which will come from the allocated budgets.
As for saying there are admin costs is nonsensical as everything we do requires admin and time. If as suggested it’s for ILM then make that optional. Why isn’t it free for cadets?
The only cost for cadets is or should be messing at around £5 a day and some spare for jollies and then get back what isn’t spent.

That’ll be the flights from Inverness/Aberdeen/Belfast then… :whistle:

:popcorn:[/quote]
Possibly what’s the alternative and what’s your point?
We make these courses England/ Welsh only? What’s next we get rid of the Welsh, then the northern regions so eventually it’s all LASER or central and east region orientated??
It’s the air training corps were are all in it together we all pay the same, we all look the same and the same opportunities are there for all!
And if people don’t like it then the scouts are hiring… :mad: :mad:

Perhaps we need to look to reduce the course cost £250 is a bit steep for a one off cost but is it for the total cost?
GHE2 says £5 a day how many days are they away for in the course?
If my numbers are right (which I doubt but help me out) 8months of weekend courses 16days, their test week 8 days
That’s 24 days £120 add to that the cost of the fancy dinner on graduation say £40…
£160 leaving £90 for other stuff such as ILM and what we don’t know about isn’t that bad really!

Surely transport costs should be from a central budget and claimable, even if the amount per journey was fixed? The only fly in the ointment would be reimbursing parents who might drive their little darlings or little darlings who might drive themselves, as these cause great problems for some unknown reason. If travelling by air/sea then surely deals can be got and bus/rail on warrants.
We don’t pay for coach etc for camps and I know lack of imagination and forethought is endemic in our full time admin staff across the Corps, but a scout around would get some good deals or get in touch with suppliers offering deals to the military.
Blimey you don’t go on business trips or holidays in this day and age without a bit of personal research and we have people gettng paid to do this sort of thing, IMO or do it yourself and advise the admin wallahs here’s the cost, crack on.

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=25223]
The only cost for cadets is or should be messing at around £5 a day and some spare for jollies and then get back what isn’t spent.[/quote]

Messing should be costing £1.92 per day if it is being supplied by MOD contract.

[quote=“talon” post=25231][quote=“glass half empty 2” post=25223]
The only cost for cadets is or should be messing at around £5 a day and some spare for jollies and then get back what isn’t spent.[/quote]

Messing should be costing £1.92 per day if it is being supplied by MOD contract.[/quote]
I was allowing for the fact it might not be and using a top end worse case scenario as not entirely sure how the JL works wrt this aspect.
The last time I was at camp messing for cadets was around £1.80 a day.

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=25227]Surely transport costs should be from a central budget and claimable, even if the amount per journey was fixed? [/quote]And where does that budget come from?

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=25232][quote=“talon” post=25231][quote=“glass half empty 2” post=25223]

Messing should be costing £1.92 per day if it is being supplied by MOD contract.[/quote]
I was allowing for the fact it might not be and using a top end worse case scenario as not entirely sure how the JL works wrt this aspect.
The last time I was at camp messing for cadets was around £1.80 a day.[/quote]

I would have thought it would be as a “proper” course. Surely if you want to know what the costs are for, there is someone to ask for a breakdown?

I’d assume the same one that 1771s, coaches and warrants are paid from or a general ‘training budget’ that staff involved claim against. I’ve never gone into the financing of things in depth, but at work we have a travel budget, so one assumes there is something similar in the Corps or a way of cross-charging or switching funds around, like we do at work.

Messing is often difficult as they can’t indent from service sources as they are not required to supply the ATC with anything other than camps. The JL isn’t a “core activity” and thus some of the travel costs are offset. IIRC they have a couple of dinners for the course plus a VIP so that will cost. Then there are course resources for the candidates. Copying etc isn’t resourced from HQAC budget (staff-wise) so someone needs to do it, and have it done.

Just the same as the Music stuff really. Except more expensive.