Junior Leaders Course 17

When I did OSC, the (then) Wg Cdr TG told us that JL’s had a £10k annual budget given to the course out of HQAC funds. Don’t know if they still get that though.

Question for you all…
Since when did cadets who pass this course stop being referred to as a cadet or rank???

I note on their Facebook Page and with their Ghana trip it’s not cadet or sgt bloggs but QJL Bloggs

I admit I don’t like this course as the cadets they have sent back to both my sqn and wing qualified needed some serious
Attitude adjustments. I know it’s a hard course etc etc etc but at the end of the day they are still
A cadet and should be treated the same as all the rest…

:popcorn:

Gunner, I know some people will start the bun fight and all the usual, but I am genuinely asking a serious question.
Are we now bringing in a system where cadets are being referred to and perhaps treated different because they done a certain course?
Are we going to start referring to the QAIC as QAIC Smith and then QJL Bloggs??
Where does it stop, to me all cadets are all the same and should be referred to the same,
if someone disagrees I am interested to know why… I don’t throw the toys out the pram :wink:

Surely you refer to a cadet by their rank? Is it a rank? No - move on.

I suspect that you genuinely are not :wink:

I believe the JLs acting as DS call themselves that on the course (I may be wrong)
It certainly has no place out in the rest of the ACO.

On the course all rank is removed, and students are referred to as JL Bloggs, if they successfully complete the course they are then QJL Bloggs

It’s very much something that should only be used on the course, and in that environment. In the SM area it’s easier for them to be called QJLs as this will not change, while rank will. Some on the trip may now be CFAVs having completed the course back in April.

[quote=“themajor” post=25851]On the course all rank is removed, and students are referred to as JL Bloggs, if they successfully complete the course they are then QJL Bloggs

It’s very much something that should only be used on the course, and in that environment. In the SM area it’s easier for them to be called QJLs as this will not change, while rank will. Some on the trip may now be CFAVs having completed the course back in April.[/quote]

This explains it fairly well, although as far as I know all of those on the Ghana expend are cadets (With three or four staff).

The Q stands for Qualified, which is a term used in several documents, including AP1358C…

During the course it’s more of a role, we invite some of the previous graduates back each year to act as mentors to the students. They stay referred to as QJLs even though it isn’t common by the end of the course for some to be actually attending as service helpers or as University Officer Cadets. Again, it also differentiates them from the JL students.

As regards use in the wider ATC, cadets should be called by their rank when not with the JL Course. I.e. there’s Flight Sergeant Boggs, he’s also a QJL etc.

Another reason why they’re referred to as QJLs on the Facebook page is more for publicity

Anywho, if anyone does want to have a real bun fight, before attacking the JL Course (a la this place back in the good old days), first ask yourself. Why does QAIC need the Q to describe the course? Their use of the Q is even more superfluous than on the JL Course.

I feel that the comment “Well, you started it” is fitting in this instance :slight_smile:

Neither needs to use the term Qualified. JLs should be just that (“Junior Leaders”) after completion of the course - beforehand surely they are just cadets.

By the same stroke, QAIC should more realistically be the ACAIC and their graduates Cadet Aerospace Instructors (ACAIs? Is that still an admin thing?) - the abbreviation is a bit lame but there you go.

Why not Aerospace Instructor Cadets?

[quote=“Baldrick” post=25854]Why not Aerospace Instructor Cadets?[/quote]Not bad. Ties in nicely with the lanyard.

Thanks for all the answers
It does make sense on the course to do as you say no rank and all treated the same.
I was concerned this was being brought in and cadets were going to be grouped in stupid new ranks we could end up with your run of the mill cadets looked down upon as they couldn’t do these courses.

Incubus, I see you you doubted my reason in asking… We don’t know each other (that I know of) but I have more better things to do than starting bun fights if I ask a question it’s because I genuinely want an answer wether I like the answer or not.

I had said I don’t like the results I have dealt with from the JL course and I mean that but please know I will never stop a cadet applying for it and a previous cadet I had I helped with his course work so he could complete his JL.

Cheers all for the input

It’s always encouraging to hear that staff are not stopping cadets applying. One of the biggest bars cadets face when they try and apply can be the chain of command between Squadron and the Course. So it’s always great to hear that things are changing in that regard.

Also, if you do have any specific issues with a graduate, you can always pass those up the chain of command, or direct to the course. Every graduate knows they have a standard of behaviour to maintain and that the eyes of the Corps are on them. So if you have an issue, and you think it’s down to the course, then please engage with the course.

You can PM me if you have any specific queries.