JL and QAIC Paused for 24/25 [Confirmed]

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, NGB Quals aren’t treated with the same respect, probably because they don’t “belong to us”.

When I was an OC an LLA, MIAS or CWA would be far more use to me than a JL.

7 Likes

Is QAIC a platform for leadership?

Potentially, yes:

We need to get away from the physical aspects of leadership delivery, but that doesn’t mean we can’t also have those courses.

QAIC I don’t think counts and shouldn’t be made to count - “Instructor” is in the name and I’m not sure how well you could relevantly and easily integrate and apply the higher level leadership concepts.

If JL retains a leadership focus, it should also include FCI as the highest level FT in the organisation. The Regional Gold Leadership model should be the most accessible Gold and include Leadership Instruction as its bolt-on. Something (ACLC or other) could provide an extra arm focused on AT. Gold leadership + a choice of LLA, MIAS, Paddlesport Leader or something.

I’ve known plenty of cadets that end up in Outdoor Ed one way or another be it long term or summer work, or even just take the path as a hobby. I realise there are additional logistics because these are usually multi part course/assessment programmes with quality day requirements, but even just handing somebody back to a WATTO or RATTO with a keen interest and partially trained with some days in their pocket is surely better than nothing…

Would the minimum age requirements (generally 18) for a lot of AT quals make going down that route difficult for cadets? For lowland leader the training can be done at 17 but it cant be assessed until 18. if we’re losing staff cadets this could result in a bunch of half earned quals which would surely be seen as a waste of money.

2 Likes

There are a few here who know the course better than most.

The negativity towards it is an attitude birthed long before your friends were cadets and one that has persevered among some, and is simply memed on by others (and a few can be found around these parts). There were indeed some egos that bloomed among certain QJLs and the problem was worse 10-15 years ago.

I’ve seen plenty remain useful and be assets within their wings and regions over the years - attitude and openness of FCIs, WFCOs, and RFCOs being a large factor in that above the attitude of the cadets themselves.

1 Like

There are options at 16, but granted that anything Mountain Training is as you say.

Paddlesport Leader is 16, MIAS is 16,

potentially straying off-topic but what are the limits on cadets using those qualifications? are there not restrictions on how they can be used in the same way as a cadet with AFA can’t be used as such (as far as i’m aware)

1 Like

Is LLA training 16 or 17? Pretty sure CWA training can be done under 18. You just need to wait until 18 for assessment.

LLA is 17 for training and 18 for assessment, CWA is the same.

Can someone summarise that for anyone not on Facebook please?

1 Like

✈️QAIC 17 UPDATE✈️

Over the last few months, HQ RAFAC has conducted a series of reviews that are aimed at reducing administrative burdens and enhancing training opportunities across the organisation, to be able to provide the best opportunities for the cadets and volunteers.

As part of this process, the decision has been made to PAUSE the Qualified Aerospace Instructors Course (QAIC) for 2024/25, ahead of course no.17. This allows our team sufficient time to properly assess the best way to deliver our flagship course, and ensure that we are meeting training needs, as well as providing the necessary number of cadets needed to support Astra Ground Schools in the future.

QAIC is essential in the delivery of the aerospace offer for the RAF Air Cadets, and we are excited about the positive changes that this review should bring.

A message from Officer Commanding QAIC, Wing Commander Robert Westerberg: “this temporary pause will allow QAIC staff to engage in the reworking of the Progressive Training Syllabus and BTEC and to reimagine QAIC to deliver against these, we will be back in 2025".

Keep an eye out over the next 18 months, as we will be sharing updates on our progress with the review!✈️

Nice clear update, clear how they are being tweaked.

If they post regular updates it’s a good way of keeping everyone engaged.

1 Like

But NOT via SM!! Formal comms are needed.

HQ RAFAC has conducted a series of reviews that are aimed at reducing administrative burdens and enhancing training opportunities

I’m offering 100/1 odds on, that the review ends with MORE administrative burden and LESS training opportunities!

13 Likes

Yes but both are needed. If it’s a case of

“QAIC team came together for our first weekend of what would have been training to explore the syllabus & how we deliver it. Lots of ideas to explore through & exciting times. Lots of pink wafer biscuits consumed!”

Then that’s a bit for social media. Keeps the course in mind & build exciting maintains engagement, stops it disappearing.

Formal updates & board reports should come through official comms but I would expect them to be like a progress report every 3-6mths.

2 Likes

It would appear it’very much an Army thing.

1 Like

I thought it would be hobnobs!

Hobnobs are great but dissolve when dipping leaving a sludge at the bottom of tea mugs requiring rinsing between brews.

Pink wafers tend to hold themselves together.:laughing:

So just a thought on QAIC….

Could it be linked to RIAT somehow to help the planning & delivery of that as well as the aviation knowledge.

If students from that years QAIC course anre also at RIAT it allows them to practically use their skills with a big aviation link.

They have always been involved.

1 Like