JL and QAIC Paused for 24/25 [Confirmed]

Apparently JL and QAIC are being scrapped yet this is a rumour that I would like clarifying

QAIC Iā€™ve seen confirmed paused for this year, not scrapped. Paused so changes can be made to the course etc. JL Iā€™m not sure.

1 Like

One of the seargents from my sqn just graduated lutterally last week sad its not going on further this year then im sure there will be some dissapointed cadets but would it be most likley to resume in the next year or so?

Well a majority of temporarily paused stuff has never returned or something :frowning:

1 Like

But weā€™ll have a new Air commodore by then so maybe theyā€™ll let it happen?

1 Like

The overall plan within HQ is to have a year where we pause the majority and/or the large events/courses to allow staff to consolidate and plan how to better deliver these courses in the future. Those on the ā€˜pauseā€™ list are due to come back next year.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve recently spoken with a former member of the central JL team.

HQ have insisted upon fewer but longer weekends, which has led to many of the central team feeling that they can no longer continue due to the impact on their day jobs - they simply donā€™t have enough annual leave to cover all of the required days and it was less of an impact on their day jobs when hosting more frequent but shorter weekends.

With the above in mind, staffing has become an issue. As such, it wouldnā€™t be a shock if JL is de facto paused as opposed to officially paused.

But, once again, we see that the big wigs in the organisation donā€™t understand life for civilians who have bills to pay.

8 Likes

Those changes were brought in a few years ago now, it mostly saved travel costs for the students.

And there sits the problem. They are paid staff and the instructors are volunteers. As you say, it will impact of the CFAVs taking part, having to take more holidays to cover. Do they think a course just happens, what about the set up before everyone arrives!! If they want longer weekends, I take they mean a Friday to Monday, the there will be a requirement to set up and break down either side of this.

And none of this takes into consideration the imminent reduction of VA to the CFAVs.

Impact on the CFAVs will be the big decider for many. This year of ā€˜pausesā€™ is just HQACā€™s way of shifting the problem out to 2025, when they start to realise that they have broken the CFAV cadre and people start to leave or reduce their appetite to assist at these longer scales activities, such as JLs.

3 Likes

Iā€™m going with 2035, or, more likelyā€¦ā€¦never!

3 Likes

My understanding with JL now days is that the majority of directing staff now are service instructors so the va impact is a lot less.

I think the QAIC pause shows the lack of long term planning going on. Just a few years ago it was ā€œpausedā€ for covid - surely that would be the time to substantially review the course content?

4 Likes

It would have been if people knew there was going to be a Pause. But nobody knew it was coming, and for a lot of people there was a lot of things going on in home life to manage.

Yes, exactly. Changes to QAIC have been rumoured for years, itā€™s not a new concept, they (Comdt etc) should have pounced on that opportunity as much as possible.

1 Like

Or is it TKā€™s way of pushing it out to where he doesnā€™t have to deal with it?

8 Likes

As heā€™s leaving in September, it would be more politically easy to leave that decision to his successor rather than cancel it straight off.

Unless he was hoping it returns so a task for his successor is to re-establish QAIC.

In which case JL is the target as that is the one likely to be pulled with no return.

1 Like

If my memory serves me correctly the QAIC was developed by volunteers to support aerospace training at all levels of the organisation including the Regional Activity Centres. If the aeospace offering and the delivery pattern has changed then its good to review. Matching any changes in the syllabus to.the ability of volunteers to deliver will be key. In terms of longer weekends, this will have an impact on both the CFAVs and the cadets with time off work and time away from school/ college a real challenge.

4 Likes

SIs still need their time off and being with family etc.

5 Likes

JL also paused, confirmed today

Waiting for the Weekly Brief with all the bad news storiesā€¦

1 Like