JL and QAIC Paused for 24/25 [Confirmed]

Million dollar question.
Both courses are very expensive to run, JL more than QAIC but neither is cheap.
Both are staff heavy with lots of traveling
Both are bit ticket events for the cadets, They keep our best in the corps. Without these activities would our senior cadets stay or move on to UAS etc?
We are a light blue org focusing on Air, Space and Cyber, Why do we do JLs? See above for one answer.

I for one think that the RAFAC is much more than Air, Space and Cyber and we are at our best when we are outside doing practical activities such as drill, leadership, Adv Trg, shooting, road marching etc, etc, etc

5 Likes

This actually makes me rather sad.

Yes there are wider issues at play and the organisation will continue no doubt. But we seem to overlook the impact on individual cadets when opportunities are withdrawn. Plus it affects the motivation of younger ones who see the senior cadets losing out this way.

2 Likes

And these cadets now aging out are the ones who missed a proper start due to Covid

4 Likes

And lost out of their BTECs. Hope they weren’t holding out on the ILM from QAIC/JL…

5 Likes

I was holding out for an ILM quality, from ACLC, that didn’t happen in 2023. Then hoping for JLs or QAIC, and that won’t be happening. No btec in aviation studies either, but it’s alright everyone, I have my level 2 btec in teamwork and personal development in the community! And don’t forget an Entry Level Award in Hazard awareness in the workspace!

Edit: also no acps for flying, so I’ll hope for my first 10 min glider flight.

2 Likes

IIRC, this is no longer accredited by the British Safety Council…

1 Like

Well crumbs. It’s still being taught on my sqn, so someone’s not up to date then.

2 Likes

i’ve always thought it was to develop good leaders???
(although the feeling is it creates “fieldcraft experts” instead)

As I said further up, the organisation really needs to define JLs purpose, otherwise it will disappear for good. Or the other way of looking at it, is does it actually need to fit into the PTS? Can it just be it’s own high level course, combining high levels of leadership with high levels of military skills?

But either way, this will need better defining in the future.

2 Likes

This is the point of the pauses across a number of areas, don’t get me wrong, it is needed in some, but what ever comes out in the wash, not everyone will agree.

Do you cut JLs, the greenies will say no, the flyers may say yes. The reverse for QAIC!

The big issue is that the whole system is in a mess, but how do you sort whilst keeping activities going.

1 Like

With the new syllabus, hopefully JL assuming it loves on can become what it was purported to be - a leadership course.

It became a defacto fieldcraft course (or was at least seen that way) because of the severely lacking quality, breadth, and depth of fieldcraft and weapons skills at lower levels.

4 Likes

but as @JoeBloggs has indicated, if it lives on will that kill ACLC? and if it dies, does that permit ACLC to continue?

These are two top level “leadership” courses the RAFAC offer(ed) which run alongside each other. the method of delivery is very different but essentially the outcome is the same “teaching and then developing good leadership skills” given the pause has come about due to costs, it seems difficult to justify the cost of both courses given the same outcome

1 Like

If JLs are killed off, will ACLC completion enable the cadet to wear a burgundy lanyard…?

ACLC will have to change if it is to become a Gold level course. The biggest is it aimed at the age group for Silver.

ACLC already was a gold level course, wasn’t it?

Yes it was but it was run by the CCF paid staff with no ATC involvement.

It also had a maximum rank requirement which stopped the badge hunters so training was re invested back into the organisation.

It also only required cadets to commit for a week so cheaper.

I’ve always rated the course over JL

4 Likes

It was badged as a gold course but there have been questions raised whether it was pitched at the right level for a gold course.

There was no JL in my day, and ACLC was quite ‘green’, with nights in bashas, ORPs and hexamine cookers, navigation / road marching, lots of pine poles, and a fitness test (1.5 mile timed run). I wonder how much of this would still be allowed?

Edit: Not to mention press ups being used as punishment.

2 Likes

Done ACLC a number of times and whilst CCF Heavy (it started as a CCF course) there was definitely ATC involvement and each year there was discussion on how could they get more ATC involvement.

1 Like

I didn’t know about the CCF history of the course and assumed all the flt lts with no VRT identifiers were regular officers. I’m now guessing they must have been CCF TEST officers?

1 Like