Jetboil / windproof stoves

Hi everyone.

Looking for advice - does anyone use a Jetboil or similar? How reliable and durable are they? If a Jetboil which model did you go for?

Is the simmer feature on the more expensive ones get used often?

Planning on purchase for Xmas, to heat up ration packs and make coffee on the go…

Been using JetBoils since just before they got popular. They are brilliant for what you’ve outlined IE brew and ration packs. For anything more you really need a simmer ring. It’s not impossible to cook properly on them - it’s just faffy and burny.

However, I’ve also trialled the Alpkit Brukit and Highlander versions (which are about £35 rather than the cheapest JetBoil at £65ish now!). I prefer the Brukit over the Highlander and JetBoil - it’s slightly wider making cleaning inside easier.

The downside? None of these stoves are “windproof” as such. They are all more effective with a windscreen around them. MSR do one called the Windburner - it’s £100+ for similar results in standard conditions - but excels against them when the wind gets up. I’ve not even dabbled with it as I’ve not got cash to burn, nor the inclination to trial it for marginal gain in the conditions i work in.

I use my alpkit one pretty regularly on a range of stuff and it’s been great at knocking at brews in a jiffy. I’ve also been using it to trial freezer bag cooking with great success- anything to avoid a mucky pan!

1 Like

I have the MSR Windburner and it’s fantastic, but I do need one for use in very windy conditions.

Most of the time a standard Jetboil or the Brukit will be fine.

1 Like

I’d echo @Batfink - and add that you can buy (or even make yourself) a windshield make of heavy aluminium foil.

The issue/wayfarer meal pouches work fine in the Alpkit jobbies - though I’ve got the larger one, (wolf/jackal?).

If you’ve a question about them, ask on the Alpkit website - they are very switched on and very helpful.

Had the same (basic) jetboil since IOT days 10+ years ago. Still going strong.

1 Like

Freezer bag cooking is for winners!

1 Like

I’m still on the original jetboil that I bought years ago. Has never let me down.

2 Likes

I had a Jetboil which eventually exploded (long story) some years ago. Replaced it with an MSR Reactor, which is a lovely thing.

https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/reactor-stove-systems

Just to resurrect a thread since I don’t have access to Sharepoint on holiday.

Am I right in thinking that their is noting in the ACATI to limit what kind of fuel is used in a cooker, it’s just in ACFTI that limits the type of fuel in use?

Don’t get me wrong I risk assess liquid fuels out of my Expeditions as I think they are stupidly dangerous and an unnecessary risk, but don’t want to tell a Squadron asking for advice something is banned when it isn’t.

atm yes

But range orders supersede both if on the DTE, can be no flame at all.

I’m only thinking from an AT/DofE point of view, so for me, anything that isn’t gas is a bad idea for Cadets. (Solid fuel has its used but not for what most h it’s would be doing).

The only thing I’ve seen on gas recently was a warning about the small hob-type cookers where the gas is in an aerosol inside the unit.

Gas powered trangias are fine.

For bronze DofE, yes. But silver/gold DofE, and other longer expeditions, I’d have to disagree! Meths are an excellent option for longer and/or colder expeditions, and are perfectly safe if used properly!

I’ve always used Trangia for my groups and would recommend them to everyone for what we use them for. (I’m also hearing very good things about the Lava 400)

I know what I’m at with cookers, just been asked a Policy question and want to make sure I don’t contradict it.

As for the original policy question, then yes, there is policy around what fuel can be used within the ACATIs. From memory it’s screw-in, self sealing gas and meths is fine for everyone. And mixed fuel/liquid pressure stoves is over 18s and staff only.

@daws1159 just had a look and ACATI 022 does allow meths and gas. See screen shots here as you can’t get on SharePoint:

That’s great thanks, I thought that was the case but didn’t want to make myself look silly if there had been an amendment I wasn’t aware of.

1 Like

@JoeBloggs has beaten me to the policy reference!

1 Like

Given this is in the Fieldcraft section - I’ve been told that gas is being looked at for FT but no timescale on when rules will be updated.

It might be down to the Army to change their policy first.

Can I ask a source for that? As it’s not on my radar and if it was coming or being looked at I would expect TG5 to have raised it.

It was on one of the FT webinars a while back. IIRC it was in response to a question from the audience.

1 Like