Jetboil / windproof stoves

Agreed: we’ve used them for years for AT without any fuel-related injuries. Injuries have been from the hot water, which could happen at least as easily with any type of cooker. You do need the anti-flashback filler bottle for the idiots who try to top it up while it is alight.

Too many absolute idiots out there, I’ve seen some horrendous behaviour by non-RAFAC groups who have been on campsites alongside us (especially mass bronzes being delivered by schools).

Meths has its place, but for the majority of Expeditions it’s just an extra risk that doesn’t need to be taken. (I still train it as part of IET as it’s a “must know”)

3 Likes

Fully agree. I’d never use meths for bronze. Just unnecessary. But used properly they are awesome in terms of fuel density.

I always teach it with the 5 meter triangle. Cooking area, fuel area and tents all 5 meters away from each other, and always bring the burner to the fuel, never the fuel to the burner! That guarantees it’s cold enough to have fuel added to it.

2 Likes

Yeah I do exactly the same, I’ve seen groups still using the old style bottles which just scares the life out of me!

I assessed a silver group many years ago who had their meths in the plastic bottles they were brought in. Even an old Sigg bottle would have been better. Mind you they had intended the groups to walk across a dual carriageway way. Interestingly the person organising was a CWO, who I would have thought would be more current with regs.
On a windbreaker note, my old primus ETA comes with one that you pop onto two prongs of the burner and it protects the flame. Genius idea and works nicely.

1 Like