Israel and Gaza 2023

Traditionally it was the job of the police to ask for more powers, and the job of the home secretary to tell them they had enough.

Now we have the opposite?

While not dealing with the things that the Police are asking for? Like tightening up the legislation on extremism.

I stand by my long running statement that we haven’t had a good Home Secretary since 1997.

Then why haven’t they stopped any of the XR / Just Stop Oil / Insulate Britain ‘protests’ or that awful “F**k the Jews, rape their wives, rape their daughters’ parade?

Edit: I notice they do have enough powers to beat some women up at a vigil or arrest a woman (three times?) for praying though.

They don’t want to do that, because they’ll be out of power in 12 months and their own views will become so extreme they don’t want to have their own laws used against them?

The last round of Just Stop Oil protests in London (the 13 weeks of action) the average time for a slow walk in the road before conditions were put in place was around 6 minutes at which point they generally immediately complied (apart for the odd sacrificial lamb who would be the designated “I want to be arrested today” volunteer).

This may be a bit complicated for you to understand, but you don’t limit the rights of 30,000 law abiding people because of the actions of small numbers within the crowd. (Firstly because it’s illegal to do that and secondly because that’s what kicked off the Poll Tax riot).

As and when offences are being identified people are being arrested (or they will be down the line as it’s not always practical to go into the crowd and get them at the time), that doesn’t mean everyone else suddenly becomes a criminal or that it’s the job of the Police to stifle the rights of everyone else to protest lawfully.

8 Likes

Imagine comparing slow walkers and a sacrificial “arrest me today” lamb to the far right…

Also, does Piers never learn?

1 Like

How do you suppose that looks to a Jew who came to a supposedly civilised country with rule of law, to escape persecution, to see these parades going ahead without any apparent action taken to stop their hate or arrest those inciting hatred and violence?

You’re completely missing Daws’s point. The illegal behaviour gets dealt with and people get arrested if required. That doesn’t mean the whole parade has to be stopped or becomes illegal.

7 Likes

You don’t go into a crowd to drag out individuals. The crowd will respond with an animus of its own.

What we do, is use the technology and skills at our disposal to catch these people after the event, and prosecute them.

Like, we did in fact: CPS authorises charges against two women following protest in London | The Crown Prosecution Service

3 Likes

I thought that was what got the right wing going in the morning?

Don’t restrict the freedoms of the law abiding just because someone broke the law.

Unless of course they’re not actually principles…

No I’m not, justice must not only be done but must also be seen to be done: otherwise a perception of lawlessness prevails.

That may be true, but most people have seen this brazen demonstration of death worshipping Jew hatred and haven’t seen any arrests. If the arrests aren’t made at the time, then more effort needs to be made to publicise then and link them to the event.

Beyond it being on the BBC and Met Social Media what exactly do you want done to increase awareness?

Maybe the Commissioner should come round your house and tell you in person?

Every news report on every protests has included a statement from the Met saying how many people attended and how many were arrested and what for.

5 Likes

I literally just showed you a high profile arrest news link?

Have some more, arrests and charges:

Arrests made following pro-Palestine protest in central London | Evening Standard

Arrests at pro-Palestinian protest in King’s Cross station in London | UK News | Sky News

Two arrested at London King’s Cross after pro-Palestinian protest banned | ITV News

Six people charged by police after pro-Palestinian protest in London | The Independent

2 Likes

And those figures are always alarming low, and sometimes turn out to be someone with a Union Jack.

It’s only alarming if you start from the viewpoint that every attendee is a criminal for going?

Or, maybe the reality is a very small minority of people are committing offences at peaceful protests?

3 Likes

I’ve seen a number of messages flying around making sure those attending the marches police the *poop out of themselves and anyone they notice acting odd.

The “death worshipping Jew haters” as you call them are very much conscious of the attempts that will be made to undermine their peaceful protest.

I’m actually quite sick by what I’m seeing and hearing.

Fascism is alive and well. And it seems pretty keen to deflect.

I mean, it’s the equivalent of “I can’t be racist because I have a black friend!”.

“I couldn’t possibly be acting like a fascist because I love the Jews!”

1 Like

Don’t be daft, everyone in attendance is aiding and abetting!

This is why we should arrest everyone who turns up at a football match; they’re clearly a hooligan!

(/s - in case it’s really needed!)

6 Likes

Live scenes from EDL’s HQ…

I like how the FLA/DFLA have rebranded as “football lads against extremism” it’s surely the right wing equivalent of being “the peoples republic” :joy:

Far too common a view these days “I don’t agree with what this person is saying so their free speech should be stifled” or “this protest offends/inconveniences me they should all be arrested”

4 Likes

That’s pretty standard: like Antifa for example. They are usually what they accuse you / others of.