Israel and Gaza 2023

The Iranian definition of a Ballistic Missiles and our perception probably differ somewhat.

I suspect plenty will go back the other way and the US will respond, especially in an election year.

4 Likes

The Iranians do have a ballistic missile capability.

Certainly an ā€˜opportunityā€™ to take out Iranā€™s nuclear programsā€¦

1 Like

Looks as if Israel has flushed its tankers and airborne command post in to the air.

1 Like

Majority of Iranian ballistic missiles are Scuds or. their chinese variants.

It will be the over flight route that will be interesting and whether off countries are permitting Iran to attack Israel through their air space.

Also now reports (albeit vague and not backed up) that the Houthis in Yemen are also joining in and have started launching drones towards Israel too.

1 Like

Nothing coming out of the USA in the way of tankers, as happened at the start of the evacuation from Afghanistan. BUZZY75 in the usual position for an E8 over the USA.

ADSB is in my opinion better than FR24, click U at the top to filter the military traffic.

1 Like

Yeah, ADSB.lol, FR24 and PlaneFinder all seem to have nothing, but ADSBexchange.com currently shows 3 Israeli 707-300s up in the air.

1 Like

Any one else a bit dubious about this suggestion that Typhoons from Cyprus over Syria/Iraq on what looks like a SHADER flight are going to try and drop Iranian drones/CMā€™s?

Not that they couldnā€™t, but Iā€™ve never seen any suggestion that despite the occasional ā€˜we stand with Israelā€™ rhetoric, we have shown the slightest interest in touching that goat rodeo with a 50ft bargepoleā€¦

I suppose itā€™s not about if we get a call for help from the Israelis, but if we get one from the US.

If the USAF have problems, and called the RAF for help, Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™d get stuck in. As it stands only the US have confirmed they are involved.

Or the Jordanians who have closed their airspace since lunchtime.

I was until I just saw a report saying that Jordan & Saudi Arabia are also engaging the drones

Could typhoons intercept the ballistic missiles? Might be theyā€™re held back for that task.

1 Like

Typhoon hasnā€™t IIRC a ballistic missile attack capability, that would down to Patriot and Iron Dome plus the US Aegis class cruisers with SM2 type capability,

2 Likes

The BBC were just saying that if what is being said is true, that a combination of 100s of drones and dozens of ballistic missiles are on the way, then the Iron Dome system likely wonā€™t have the capacity to keep up, which is why itā€™s really important for them to get as many down early on before they end up over Israel at all.

2 Likes

Just saw a report that Jordan has opened its borders to Israel

Other reports that the Saudiā€™s are getting involved with the Israeliā€™s shooting down drones.

2 Likes

Given they were estimating the arrival of the attack at 2am local, so 30 mins away, I assume this shooting down it still going on over Iraq, Syria and Jordan?

US just confirmed they have indeed shot down drones.

1 Like

The advantages for Israel, is that they could be shot down by MANPADS as they are relatively slow and predictable.

US have possibly shot down an aircraft as well.

For the drones, yes. But the missiles? Surely they are too quick for that?

Thatā€™s why Patriot has been deployed and all Iron Dome is, is a modified version of Patriot. Plus, the US carrier battle groups will have SM2 type missile destroyers if the AEGIS class as well.

Sky have confirmed the RAF have been in action tonight. Interesting times at Air Command tonight.

2 Likes