Is the RAFAC in a death spiral?

Not photoshopped…

1 Like

That’s why I posted it in this thread. A picture paints a thousand words!

1 Like

I’ve just found the following Facebook comment that explains the picture.

We were tasked to remove 40 of the Grobs from Little Rissington as the RAF wanted the hahgar back. We had a small window to complete the move. We managed to find storage for 20 out of the 40 Grobs. I asked d Kemble if I could store some out side until I could find more storage and they wanted £ 135 a month per aircraft. I made the call and picked the best ones. Stripped everything from the others and scrapped them. I will do my best to get them into the air. I still think with a 916 and a hook, they will make good tugs. Most of them have over 6000 hours on them, it is a great shame but it gets very expensive trying to store 40 aircraft.

2 Likes

No it’s not photoshopped they have been given to Air Salvage International (ASI)

Not even a cockpit section made available for local sqns to mock up into a sim.

1 Like

Never going to be airworthy now. Will likely end up in landfill. Oh well, at least cadets have aeromodelling and Air Rec…

1 Like

Careful of the glue, paint and modelling knife; H&S, bound to stop in due course :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Now mentioned elsewhere.

2 Likes

Interesting comments from pprune in a thread which has run for years.

The interesting comment being that 621 VGS and 637 VGS are about to close down!

Any more info on this?

There is a chance that any cadet using this kind of sim could get blisters on their feet from using the rudder pedals too much, and that of course does not fit in with the new ‘zero risk’ policy, so no, they will just be buried in a big pit.

2 Likes

Didnt i hear they’re were getting/have had a large accommodation block built to permit overnight stays for those travelling big distances?

Amalgamated in to one unit with a new number

Someone in this groups previously said yes and I regretfully am starting to agree.

Yes. Some pretty good accommodation has been available for a while now at the gliding school.

Just opened up a load more as part of an activity centre.

1 Like

Hopefully there will be some kind of disbandment ceremony as it would be great to attend for ex 621 and 637 people!

2 Likes

616 VGS’s disbandment dinner was the only time I ever wore my No. 5s as a sgt.

1 Like

We don’t even have that anymore

1 Like

612VGS disbandment parade was fun. Not as fun as introducing OC612 VGS to Comdt RAFAC at a point when she hadn’t yet told him his squadron was being disbanded, but everyone knew. Awkward all round…

1 Like

Is the RAFAC in a death spiral?

I don’t know but the aircraft captain has just ejected!

1 Like