Is HeartStart dead?

There must be a process in place for a Wing First Aid Officer who doesn’t yet hold the qualifications since their are always going to be Wings where no one holds the Qualifications.

To have a system in place where you would appoint an inappropriate person purely in the basis of having a Qualification is just seeking yourself up to fail.

As long as the Courses are still overseen be someone with the requisite qualifications be that the Region Fist Aid Officer or the person within the Wing who does hold the Qualification I don’t see any offices whatsoever. It’s the same as a WATTO having a technical advisor for areas of AT that they aren’t experienced in.

Then why bother having the requirement in the ACTO which is listed as a mandatory requirement rather than an aspirational one. I’m assuming that SJA gave us permission to run their courses on the basis that we would be complying with the ACTO.

Because the people who wrote the ACtO’s are often very distant from the reality of the lower levels.

Read the ToR for many of the SME roles, they aren’t always grounded in the reality that we face.

1 Like

I don’t dispute that. But when the SME is responsible for administering nationally recognised qualifications (as in FA) then those in the ivory towers shouldn’t be appointing unqualified people to the role if the framework agreed with the governing body for the qualification requires them to hold certain qualifications. They should be ensuring that there are sufficient people trained to take on the role.

3 Likes

How on earth has this major change to the syllabus been announced on a Regional Sharepoint page without being disseminated through the CoC to all Regions/ Wings? I spoke with my Wing First Aid Officer earlier and they hadn’t heard.

3 Likes

Interestingly, if BFH have pulled the plug on HS, they we cannot continue to use their videos one would assume as this would be a breach of their copyright. At one time, I was running FAAW courses for three different organisations, one being my own using the resources from my awarding body, and two other organisations I was a self-employed trainer for. I had to make sure I used the correct resources for each course, including handouts etc.

Going off topic but Wg Radio and Communication Officers are the same. Unless they happen to be Radio Amateurs also in my experience their “qualifications” have been in house experience of ATC Radio and the associated courses

1 Like

Any truth in the rumour that Hqac just took delivery of 30,000 new HS badges…
Just before BHF pulled the plug?

The guy at Green frog told me a couple of weeks ago that he had a bulk PTS order to produce

2 Likes

Big update today on timings / replacement / badges, etc.

Where?

2 Likes

My region only got the initial email yesterday :rofl:

CCF still to get one

Had neither here.

I’ve seen nothing formally/directly about it. Only know about it seeing this thread then digging for info on SharePoint!

Link pleaae

Lengthy email from Region First Aid Off.

Extracts:

Short timescale from BHF, not pre-announced to HQ RAFAC. No HeartStart branded material to be used after 20 Jun 21; cadets can continue to wear the Heartstart badge & trg resources can be used during the interim., expecting 4 – 6 month maximum.

All reference to BHF on the newly adopted BLS certificate will be removed from 20 Jun 21. Blue ‘HeatStart’ badge = NO from same date, stock of badges after 20 June 21 must be returned.

Cses = OK TFN in current format, SMS event applications as needed. No firm confirmation on the format of the replacement cse, so no further BLS / HS Instructor cses will be run.

WIP to identify other first aid trg options that would meet Blue level requirements for cadets / requirement for CFAVs = level of re-trg of instructors, issuing of new resources etc. The new badges design, approval, logistics, etc, in progress; high priority but linked to finalising format of the revised BLS cse.

If you can deliver BLS courses on your sqn, go ahead - plan sooner rather than later. Offer support to other local sqns, especially to meet the immediate demand for the existing cse.
Do NOT contact BHF!

Latest update from my WFAO:

Following the recent emails from the BHF announcing the closure of HS. HQ have been in discussion with the BHF and have agreed an extension to the delivery of HS until 01 Sep 21.

This will allow us to properly plan a replacement for the blue badge and basic first aid for CFAVs. Work is being undertaken to produce a replacement course covering the same topics to be launched 01 Sep 21 along with a new blue badge.

Cadets who have gained a HS award may continue to wear the badge on their uniform until the qualification expires (3 years from date of issue).

This extension is for RAFAC personnel only. Therefore, any HS Schemes that have delivered community courses must stop these courses wef 20 Jun 21.

2 Likes

Official Comms have now been released via the Training Hub / First Aid Portal

Changes to HeartStart - This News Article is useless hopefully it’ll get updated.

The actual Content is here - First Aid Portal | HeartStart

4 Likes

So to resurrect this, just seen an email saying that HeartStart/BLS will be replaced with the SJA Essential First Aid course.

Most importantly, no upskill will be required for current HeartStart instructors to deliver it.

5 Likes