Interesting Beret wearing

I think you’ve over estimated the sincerity of his comment.

8 Likes

Saw three during a visit to the JTAC school when it was at Leeming.

I saw a few at Chicksands…

1 Like

I never, ever wore my beret like that and still don’t. Each to their own but it wasn’t my style.

My list of pet hates will probably give away my age and time in regular service:
i. Berets shaped to look like flat caps.
ii. Long sideburns during my time, beards in the British Army and RAF now. I grew my share of beards/designer stubble when I was in, but it was strictly on AT/leave/weekends/field exercises with limited time or water for washing and shaving.
iii. Ceremonial parades wearing combat clothing rather than Service Dress - more the Army than the RAF in that case.

We wont get on then. Bearded WWO

5 Likes

Come on, that baby face can’t possibly grow a beard :wink:

It has solid form atm

You should really update that profile pic buddy

3 Likes

Never mentioned who in the picture was the one with the beard now…?

I thought she WAS the beard

2 Likes

Lols.

She would probably agree

Jesus, how old was that pic?

4 Likes

Honestyl! Why I was so confused there was a WWO who looked 16.

4 Likes

11 years

Why i have a beard to hide the baby face

2 Likes

It must be an age thing, judging by the divide on RAF Regt veterans’ FB groups: however beards + RAF uniform looks the part to me if you are of the Sikh religion and wearing an RAF blue turban with cap badge. When I was an ATC cadet a couple of the guys on my old squadron were Sikhs.
I nearly forgot Pet Hate iv: long-haired CCF cadets - the posh boys learning early on that the rules don’t apply to them, just to the muggles.
Not that I can do anything about any of these pet hates anymore: I could with the berets & long sidies when I actually had a bit of authority and responsibility given to me in days gone by. :roll_eyes:

It’s no longer the posh schools but also in the state school which have a CEP program.

School rules trump Cadet rules so if it’s allowed under school rules you can’t enforce further that allowed by that.

Having said that, permitted hair style these days is a lot more permissive so there’s not much of a difference anymore.

Surely that would only be the case in schools were the press gang is still in operation? In schools where joining the CCF is voluntary there is no reason that higher standards can’t be required.

Schools often treat CCF like it’s the chess team or the book club - just another enrichment activity.

If the school say you are not allowed to go further than school rules you can’t enforce it (unless you want to be sacked).

Those running CCFs often have much more complicated & important battles to grapple over than the hair regs :slightly_smiling_face: